Happy Days Folks....!!!!

/ Happy Days Folks....!!!! #21  
It use to be so much simpler when a landlord could just give a tenant a notice to move... now, we must give a specific reason from a list of 7 approved reasons... thus, setting up the possibility for protracted litigation.

In Texas, if you have a month-to-month lease, all you have to say as the landlord is, "I want my property." You don't have to give any other reason, and you're better off not unless it is for lack of payment and you want to get that judgement in the eviction so you can legally withhold security deposit.

/ Happy Days Folks....!!!! #22  
It was this way here too... maybe 10 years ago it changed...

Have to give a reason which sets the stage for a war.

One reason is illegal drug activity... how can I as a Landlord make this determination.

If the people involved are minors... police will not release police report to the property owner.

It was very simple before... just give a 30 day notice. Even that has changed so that most will get a 60 day notice or in some cases even longer....

/ Happy Days Folks....!!!! #23  
I have a friend who has shared some of his nightmares over rental properties. All one has to do to get him jumping over houses is say three numerical numbers, 218. One needs some running room though before saying 218.

I think he said his encounter with a 218 renter only cost him twenty thousand.

/ Happy Days Folks....!!!!
I have a friend who has shared some of his nightmares over rental properties. All one has to do to get him jumping over houses is say three numerical numbers, 218. One needs some running room though before saying 218.

I think he said his encounter with a 218 renter only cost him twenty thousand.

Maybe it was Section 8....that is the free Govt. housing program...I never agreed to be part of that..I had heard horror stories....I bet he did get stung.

/ Happy Days Folks....!!!! #25  
Maybe it was Section 8....that is the free Govt. housing program...I never agreed to be part of that..I had heard horror stories....I bet he did get stung.

Section 8/Voucher program has changed dramatically over my 30+ years.

Originally, HUD through the local Housing Authority would contract to lease units with Housing doing the management... tenant selection, maintenance, evictions, renovations etc...

The cost per unit ended up being double or more when compared to the private market.

Today, Housing basically pays a portion of the rent with the full burden 100% on the owner... including damages, unpaid rent, deficiencies caused by the tenant, etc...

Have not had a new assisted tenant in the last 10 years... I still have a few legacy tenants...

The breaking point for me was Security Deposits... Housing would specify how much Security Deposit the family was to pay with Housing guaranteeing the balance up to the equivalent of 2 months rent...

So, a family moves into a unit that rents from $1000 a month and pays $50 Security... Housing decides to get out of the Security Deposit side of things and no longer will cover damage claims... in this case up to $1950...

There is no way I would lease a $1000 a month apartment with only a $50 Security Deposit and yet... I have several like this when Housing unilaterally got out of the Security side of things.

/ Happy Days Folks....!!!!
Section 8/Voucher program has changed dramatically over my 30+ years.

Originally, HUD through the local Housing Authority would contract to lease units with Housing doing the management... tenant selection, maintenance, evictions, renovations etc...

The cost per unit ended up being double or more when compared to the private market.

Today, Housing basically pays a portion of the rent with the full burden 100% on the owner... including damages, unpaid rent, deficiencies caused by the tenant, etc...

Have not had a new assisted tenant in the last 10 years... I still have a few legacy tenants...

The breaking point for me was Security Deposits... Housing would specify how much Security Deposit the family was to pay with Housing guaranteeing the balance up to the equivalent of 2 months rent...

So, a family moves into a unit that rents from $1000 a month and pays $50 Security... Housing decides to get out of the Security Deposit side of things and no longer will cover damage claims... in this case up to $1950...

There is no way I would lease a $1000 a month apartment with only a $50 Security Deposit and yet... I have several like this when Housing unilaterally got out of the Security side of things.

That sucks...that is why I never got involved with Section 8 ---I was approached years ago and told them no ...I forgot the exact reason but that would do it...