Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #211  
I've got the big HF log splitter - its got flaws but I'd buy it again. I've worked it hard.

Valve wouldn't hold the detent, called them, they sent me a new one no problem. Filter was put on wrong, put on Napa filter and they sent me a new one for my next change (probably time)

Like I said, I'd buy it again. Looks to me better made than the box store one's I've checked out, and after the usual harbor freight break in it's run with no problems through a heck of a lot of oak.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #212  
One thing that amused me on my HF 30 ton splitter- they make a point that the tires are DOT approved for highway use. Then when you get the splitter there is a huge sticker on it saying not to tow it on the highway:D
I don't intend to do that anyway but if I had I'd have been a little peeved at them....
I was impressed that it came with a spares kit with all the seals to rebuild the cylinder.:)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #213  
Oh gentlemen, there are many different types and grades of pipe nipples. The one in question on the 5 horse 21 ton splitter I worked on was the galvanized seamed nipple rated at 350 psi. Hydraulic parts are like anything else in the world, you have El Cheapo, good, better, and best. Everything on this unit fit in the El Cheapo category..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #214  
re the grades of pipe nipples and fittings- I had a heck of a time finding high pressure rated fittings for a gauge I was adding to my porta-power, finally got them at a Parker store- high dollar stuff too:eek:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #215  
Charlesaf3 said:
I've got the big HF log splitter - its got flaws but I'd buy it again.

I repaired one of the HF splitters, too, a big one that cost $1200 and had a
welded cylinder that was about 4 5/8" ID. It belongs to a friend, who let
it get rained on. Big mistake as that allowed water into the valve so the
detent position stopped working. Rust caused it to leak and did the same
to the gland seals on the cylinder.

The parts to rebuild the cylinder came in a couple of days (cheap), and
a whole new cylinder was only about $150, as I recall. Anyway, in taking
the cyl apart, I noticed the piston nut was loose! I subbed a new Prince
DA valve and rebuilt the cyl and it works great now.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #216  
I just got the Trencher (self mobile backhoe SKU 93167). Only 6 to 8 hours use, so far so good. It does all I expected it to do. It looks good overall, good welds and lots of steel. The engine starts on 1 crank with lots of power, and it digs as you would expect. The pivots are mainly internally greased. The main pivots at the main boom ends have external zerks and the pivot pins have internal bearings.
Harold

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #217  
Wayne County Hose said:
Oh gentlemen, there are many different types and grades of pipe nipples. The one in question on the 5 horse 21 ton splitter I worked on was the galvanized seamed nipple rated at 350 psi. Hydraulic parts are like anything else in the world, you have El Cheapo, good, better, and best. Everything on this unit fit in the El Cheapo category..

I'm not a big enough gambler to spend much more than $50 or so on anything from HF due to the questionable quality of most everything they sell. I'm sure you can find a winner on some things just like I'm sure that somebody will find a winning lottery ticket in the PowerBall lottery. After being burned so many times on relatively inexpensive things, there's no way I'm going to gamble any big money at HF.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #218  
First let me start off I am one to say you get what you pay for.

well not in this case a saw like this range from $700 to $1000 I didn't want to spend that and I didn't want to rent so:

I bought the 10" tile/paver saw on sale for $199,dimond blade for $29 and the stand for $59 Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

it works just as good as the commercial rental centers-
I finished my paver job lots of cuts, no problems I highly recomend this saw great deal.

It paid for it self already....

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #219  
johnnylight said:
First let me start off I am one to say you get what you pay for.

well not in this case a saw like this range from $700 to $1000 I didn't want to spend that and I didn't want to rent so:

I bought the 10" tile/paver saw on sale for $199,dimond blade for $29 and the stand for $59 Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

it works just as good as the commercial rental centers-
I finished my paver job lots of cuts, no problems I highly recomend this saw great deal.

It paid for it self already....

I have the same saw and have used it on a lot of tile jobs and it works great for me

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #220  
Hey! ME too... almost. I got the smaller diameter blade tile saw (not 10 inch) but it came with stand and diamond blade for $200 at a HF sidewalk sale. At the register they rang up $250 but I pointed out the big sign on the pile of boxes of saws. They sold it to me for $200 and changed the sign to the "correct" $250 price.
Good customer service attitude, good saw. I cut some 2 inch granite with it as well as porcelain tile. The stand is nice and sturdy.

I was pleased to get the trencher report, I had wondered about them. The curb extruding machine is coming on sale for $500 and I think I will be getting one. It started out at $700 and was $600 on sale. I was going to get one at the $600 level but definitely at $500.

Patrick