Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,091  
If it has something to turn D screws on weed whacker carbs I want two sets.
I bought one of those from a small engine repair shop. He said they weren't supposed to sell them to the public. I just asked him how much for that screwdriver you have there then, $12.99. I can now adjust the carbs on any small engine.

God Bless our government EPA guys for this little tid-bit that requires a homeowner to go to a shop and spend $50 or more to adjust his carb. I suppose too many folks were incapable of adjusting a standard flat head screw to get the proper mixture and ruining our atmosphere by running too rich so the kind folks decided that the American public is too stupid to do simple tasks like they had been doing of 100 years. Similar to the "protection" from Microsoft's monopoly on installed computer programs in new computer. It was ruining the free market trade by GIVING the programs to new computer buyers so now thanks to the government, what used to be free now costs several hundred $$$$ to buy extra and we still use the same programs.
No more ranting.
Lets see what else is good at HF. I did buy some grade 70 chains there a few years back for around $20 but now I don't see anything but grade 43 and their prices are sometimes higher than TSC for the same Chinese made chain. I have to say that the 3/8" grade 70 chain from HF was stronger than my tractors drawbar as it broke before even stretching the chain. I have seen old USA made chains used in logging that were stretched so much that they hardly even flexed anymore. Some folks may say that Chinese chains are unsafe, but I find that at least the ones that I have are at least as strong as the rating.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,092  
Gary,
Those D screws are disgusting and I can't weld a tiny flat spot inside a round hole with my tombstone.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,093  
Lets see what else is good at HF. I did buy some grade 70 chains there a few years back for around $20 but now I don't see anything but grade 43 and their prices are sometimes higher than TSC for the same Chinese made chain. I have to say that the 3/8" grade 70 chain from HF was stronger than my tractors drawbar as it broke before even stretching the chain. I have seen old USA made chains used in logging that were stretched so much that they hardly even flexed anymore. Some folks may say that Chinese chains are unsafe, but I find that at least the ones that I have are at least as strong as the rating.
In my experience, you can get a 5/16 20' GR70 US made chain with hooks at Lowes (Shop Campbell Commercial 20-ft Welded Yellow Chromate Steel Chain at Lowes.com) for a lot less than at TSC (Koch Industries Binder Chain, G70, 5/16 in. x 20 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.) .

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,094  
Same specification chain at HF is $8 less after using a 25% off coupon, compared to Lowes. ($29 vs $37 @ Lowes, and also vs $70 @ TSC) All three are claimed to meet DOT specs.

As for me - I would buy Campbell chain at Lowes if I expected to work near the rated limit of the chain. Safety is a lot more important than cost. For general farm dragging stuff around, HF should be sufficient with the light tractors I own where typical use is raising something with the loader etc. I've never damaged the old nondescript chains I already have.
In my experience, you can get a 5/16 20' GR70 US made chain with hooks at Lowes (Shop Campbell Commercial 20-ft Welded Yellow Chromate Steel Chain at Lowes.com) for a lot less than at TSC (Koch Industries Binder Chain, G70, 5/16 in. x 20 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.) .

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,095  
Anyone checked out the new 2000 watt inverter generator from HF for $699 ?

I noticed it the other day but being so expensive for only 2500 watts. I did get a flyer that has it listed for $499 (no coupon). If you can get it with the 25% off coupon that would make it reasonable (normally discount coupons don't work with generators) . If HF had a better rep I would be willing to risk money on it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,096  
Same specification chain at HF is $8 less after using a 25% off coupon, compared to Lowes. ($29 vs $37 @ Lowes, and also vs $70 @ TSC) All three are claimed to meet DOT specs.

As for me - I would buy Campbell chain at Lowes if I expected to work near the rated limit of the chain. Safety is a lot more important than cost. For general farm dragging stuff around, HF should be sufficient with the light tractors I own where typical use is raising something with the loader etc. I've never damaged the old nondescript chains I already have.

My 10,000# utility tractor couldn't hurt the HF chain jerking on it with all 4 wheels spinning so I think it is good for my uses. At 5400 lbs working limit on a 3/8" grade 70 chain, I know I put much, much more stress on it than that and although I broke the attachment point of my drawbar, I didn't damage the chain. I think that tells me that I have more than enough chain for anything I may do with my tractor as far as strength goes.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,097  
On the chain thing, I have never used HF or any chain or ends made foreign. I only want genuine USA and not for any ideological reason but rather safety reasons. We all do stupid stuff with chains and the last thing I want to be remembered for is a Darwin Award. When you really need a chain it better be to specs and without any questions.

If you have used USA made chain over the years and watched it function and look at it closely, you know it looks and feels better. Especially the clevis ends. Chinese ones at times have a porous look to them while I can't recall a USA one that did. Just my personal opinion here.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#4,098  
I noticed it the other day but being so expensive for only 2500 watts. I did get a flyer that has it listed for $499 (no coupon). If you can get it with the 25% off coupon that would make it reasonable (normally discount coupons don't work with generators) . If HF had a better rep I would be willing to risk money on it.
My local Costco has a no brand inverter generator of about 2000 watts for about $600 with a Honda engine. At least Costco has a lifetime return policy.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,099  
On the chain thing, I have never used HF or any chain or ends made foreign. I only want genuine USA and not for any ideological reason but rather safety reasons. We all do stupid stuff with chains and the last thing I want to be remembered for is a Darwin Award. When you really need a chain it better be to specs and without any questions.
If you have used chain over the years and watched it function and look at it closely, you know it looks and feels better. Especially the clevis ends. Chinese ones at times have a porous look to them while I can't recall a USA one that did. Just my personal opinion here.
I agree. $29 vs $35 (I get a 5% discount at Lowes) isn't worth risking a chain let loose...

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,100  
Searched but didn't get a hit on the HF Welding Cabinet #61705
I thought it looked pretty good and on sale for $129 I was ready to grab one
but they were all gone.

The drawers fit pretty good, sheet metal is not too thin, the drawer slides are good.
Cart seemed pretty stable and once the welder and a bottle are on there I bet its even better.

Anyone have one and care to comment?

View attachment 363458

I picked one up today $104 after discount in tax free DE.
Seems to be pretty sturdy , the drawers slide smooth but they don't latch.
There's no liners in the drawers so i will add some thin carpet.
The top drawer is only half as deep (front to back) as the other 2 for some reason and they give you some dividers to bolt in, I'm going to find a plastic tackle box insert thats a good fit or maybe just keep my larger one that i have all the mig and plasma accessories in.

Appearently the strong hand welding table clones are a hit my store has sold out every shipment.