Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #651  
PB Thanks ill add that to my wish list I use that setup alot but with the hard hat.But always thought the hat part was a bit bulky whn im splitting etc.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #652  
After posting several at that site I realized it is a Harbor Freight site and wondered how many, if any, "suck" posts they would actually allow.

From the bottom of their page:
"Harbor Freight, Harbor Freight Tools and related trademarks are registered trademarks of Central Purchasing Inc., which does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.
Not responsible for any errors or omissions. "

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #653  
Last week I picked up their 'Oil Filter Wrench' (pliers, actually) on sale.
36778-t.gif

The quality looks excellent.

Today I found it is ideal for unscrewing the ring securing my Yanmar's fuel filter bowl. If I never use it for anything else (and I will) it is worth having in the tool cabinet for this purpose alone.

Ditto for my Kubota.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #654  
Good ol Harbor Freight. They just emailed out a page of coupons that EXPIRED A WEEK AGO!

But what's the experience of people with their 'Heavy Duty' gas welding set?

The coupon says $90 reduced from $130. I assume they will issue that coupon again sometime.

We all know HF sells some usable stuff and some that's borderline or in a few cases unusable. Please, lets hear from someone who actually uses this, (or has returned one), and not so much from the 'its HF so I would never buy one, I don't know anything but I want you to listen to my opinion' crowd.

My intended use is a few hours per year, not commercial use where I would spend the money for pro-grade tools.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #655  
Clerical error on the coupons I bet...I've seen similar before from them, they'll probably honor them.

The gas welding set...if its for rare use I'd go for it. Be aware that the multitude of special cutting/welding/heating tips aren't going to be available for the HF one most likely, unless they cloned a name brand one.
You may never need any of that stuff, then again once you have a O/A set you'll find all kinds of uses for it.
My O/A stuff is Victor on my small set and Smith on my big set. The Smith I got used as a package for a fair price, probably less than you'll spend on larger tanks alone.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #656  
the HF torches are a victor clone.......

i had to give the thumbs up this weekend to the HF 7" wet tile cutter. the blade is good, it works, and cut a bunch of 12" sqaure tiles. for the $30 that it cost (on sale, minus the 20% coupon), it was great tool.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #657  
Good ol Harbor Freight. They just emailed out a page of coupons that EXPIRED A WEEK AGO!

But what's the experience of people with their 'Heavy Duty' gas welding set?

The coupon says $90 reduced from $130. I assume they will issue that coupon again sometime.

We all know HF sells some usable stuff and some that's borderline or in a few cases unusable. Please, lets hear from someone who actually uses this, (or has returned one), and not so much from the 'its HF so I would never buy one, I don't know anything but I want you to listen to my opinion' crowd.

My intended use is a few hours per year, not commercial use where I would spend the money for pro-grade tools.

I've had one for several years for occasional / hobby use for heating, welding, brazing, silver soldering (brazing), and cutting up to 3/4" steel, and like it very much.

BTW, I have also a red bicycle wheel cart (not heavy duty but plenty for my needs) for the welding tanks for $40 or so, probably one of the best deals they ever had, check if they still that as well.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #658  
I've had [HF torch kit] for several years for occasional / hobby use for heating, welding, brazing, silver soldering (brazing), and cutting up to 3/4" steel, and like it very much.
Ok, that's the recommendation I had hoped to see. Thanks!

BTW, I have also a red bicycle wheel cart (not heavy duty but plenty for my needs) for the welding tanks for $40 or so, probably one of the best deals they ever had, check if they still that as well.
My arc welder (an old M-Wards tombstone clone) is on one of those that was hacked up a little to make it fit. The cart is essential, and I'm sure one will be essential for tanks as well.

Has anyone modified a welding cart to carry hundreds of feet of garden hose? I bought a Garden Way style cart from Homier (plywood wheelbarrow with bicycle tires on each side) but its empty weight is excessive. Once I have it filled with coiled hose it is too heavy to drag uphill across rough ground. I've thought about adding hose hangers near the top of the handle on a bicycle-tire welding cart. Since this would have more of the weight where I am carrying it instead of on the tires, it should roll easier.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #659  
Last week I picked up their 'Oil Filter Wrench' (pliers, actually) on sale.
36778-t.gif

The quality looks excellent.

Today I found it is ideal for unscrewing the ring securing my Yanmar's fuel filter bowl. If I never use it for anything else (and I will) it is worth having in the tool cabinet for this purpose alone.

I haven't looked in this thread in a while. Y'all know how much I love most things from Horrible Freight. :D

Anyway, I do have to agree that that oil filter wrench is a 'winner' from HF. My only issue with the two I bought is that they don't adjust small enough for some oil filters. Minor complaint and it's about the size and not the tool. The tool works just fine.

Another 'winner' in my opinion is this 10 ton portable hydraulic equipment kit. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices I needed that tool to help rebuild some backhoe and excavator buckets. The kit was on sale for $129 and I used a 20% off coupon. Including tax it was under $110. I don't know how well it would hold up to heavy use but, for my limited amount of use, it works just great.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #660  
I have had the HF chain saw sharpener for some time but just recently got serious and tried it out. I sharpened several loops ranging from my little 16 inch Macs to my 32 inch bar size Husky. The tool is mostly plastic and is a bit flexible where you would rather it isn't BUT if you don't abuse it it does a good job. I'm sure there are better ones out there but a friend has both the HF and a Northern Tool one and says the Northern that costs way more is worth the difference. I'm happy so far with the HF.

I wish I had bought the HF equipment for taking loops apart and putting them together again. I bought professional equipment for that and it was not cheap.

I also have the HF sharpener for circular saws but I haven't figured out how to use it yet. I'll get after it when I have a break in the fast paced exiting projects that vie for my attention. Seriously, if I were quintuplets I'd still be too busy.

Pat