Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,841  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,843  
The problem with testing a HF tool and one that looks similar is that things you can't easily test are most likely different. In the past the plastic has been different. Name brand stuff seams more durable. The motor brushes are of a different quality. The wiring on the armature is different. The insulation on the windings makes a difference on how well the motor handles heat. To truly test the difference you really need to give both to a shop and then come back in a number of years to see how each one holds up. In some cases for the guy who isn't going to push the tool hard you could be paying a lot of extra money for nothing or simply adding some extra grease will give the tool extra life. Often I find the reviews are more just opinion than of fact.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,844  
AvE is an idiot... Seriously. Complete idiot.
I wouldn't say I enjoy his cussing and maybe even his style, but I surely wouldn't label him an idiot. He seems to be educated and pretty familiar with mechanics and electronics. Probably more so than 95% of TBN members (being conservative here) and I'm not trying to point fingers either. Just saying.

This was a far more extensive review than most. Complete tear down and explanation is not common in most tool reviews. As crazyal just mentioned, true comparison comes from real world long term usage with several samples of each machine to do it right.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,845  
I wouldn't say I enjoy his cussing and maybe even his style, but I surely wouldn't label him an idiot. He seems to be educated and pretty familiar with mechanics and electronics. Probably more so than 95% of TBN members (being conservative here) and I'm not trying to point fingers either. Just saying.

This was a far more extensive review than most. Complete tear down and explanation is not common in most tool reviews. As crazyal just mentioned, true comparison comes from real world long term usage with several samples of each machine to do it right.

Nope.. Most of what I've seen he's pretty much wrong on. The icing on the cake was when he bought battery charger and expected it to have a Li-Ion batt in it 'cause it showed one on the box.. right next to the Lead Iron and AGM symbols...You know, the symbols that show you what kind of batteries the charger charges. When called on it (it was a 20-30 min rant video), he initially replied with some BS, then his 'credentials' and 'how dare you', then finally deleted all the negative comments along with his idiot replies.

The guy's a moron.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,846  
Toying with getting an electric saw, my big Echo is a beast, and works great on bigger stuff, but anything under about 3" diameter, and it just grabs it and tries to throw it. Had to cut some shrubs down to the ground the other day, saw didn't even notice it, but I got a face whipping from some of the thin stuff. Echo brand saws get a big :thumbsup: in my book, but my experience has only been with 20" or over. Started mine up the other day after it's sat for 3 months, 3rd pull, ran great. Trying out a 20" echo hedge trimmer now, time will tell. Appears to be made as well as my chainsaw.

If you're cutting a lot of smaller branches [which we do sometimes for kindling], try bundling them together with a bungee or 2, or even baling twine- that's our go to, unless I'm limbing a tree, then I just cut them into stove-appropriate lengths from the thinnest ones we decided to keep back toward the trunk.

Even with a shrub, you can just kind lasso it out near the top and pull them together- course a lot of times we use the tractor to do that- I'm not that strong any more, plus something or someone's got to hold the rope [twine prolly ain't enough for this] under at least a little tension so that they don't just spring back apart.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,847  

Pretty much as consumer reports used to do- I'm not sure they do that kind of extensive testing as much any more from reading their more recent reviews.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,848  
Nope.. Most of what I've seen he's pretty much wrong on. The icing on the cake was when he bought battery charger and expected it to have a Li-Ion batt in it 'cause it showed one on the box.. right next to the Lead Iron and AGM symbols...You know, the symbols that show you what kind of batteries the charger charges. When called on it (it was a 20-30 min rant video), he initially replied with some BS, then his 'credentials' and 'how dare you', then finally deleted all the negative comments along with his idiot replies.

The guy's a moron.
In my defense, this was the first video of his I watched. You may be right. And oh, I don't normally read the comments. There are a lot of blowhards that love to show off... as someone way back quoted... 'A fool says what he knows... a wise man knows what he says"

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,849  
What is your favorite free item (with purchase)? Mine is usually the 4" magnetic bolt tray, but lately I've been hoarding the 6 in one screwdriver. I've also picked up the flashlights.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,850  
What is your favorite free item (with purchase)? Mine is usually the 4" magnetic bolt tray, but lately I've been hoarding the 6 in one screwdriver. I've also picked up the flashlights.

I like the tape measures to have one in pretty much every place I could need them. The blue LED lights are pretty handy as well.