Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,591  
re flashlights, HF's $10 Quantum 588 lumen Tactical Flashlight is excellent. It has 4 AAA's. I like mine.

I bought two similar off Ebay with 3 AAA's, for gifts to my kids. Nearly as good as the HF, both for $10 (but took weeks to arrive from China). Either type is fine for household use - identifying a critter in the back yard, looking into a car's engine bay, driving the tractor home if its lights failed, etc, plenty of light. And they fit in your pocket.

I think anything more powerful is getting into the specialty area - boating, night watchman who needs hours of battery, anything where you need full light 100 ft and beyond.

And HF's $5 LED camp lantern is handy too. Working under the car etc. I used one last week troubleshooting why the free-standing heater at the ranch wouldn't stay lit. (Discovered it has a flue-temp sensor with flaky slide-on terminals). The camp lantern was just right for setting behind the heater and illuminating everything. I have two, didn't need the second one, but it would be like working in a lighted room with both nearby. If you want to illuminate an entire campsite HF has larger versions too.

Looks like its time to put my Coleman 200A (red, single mantle) on Ebay. Hundreds of them sold over $300!!

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,592  
I problem with flashlights in the winter is how poor the batteries work and last.
I'm trying some lithium's we will see how they work in the cold.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,593  
re flashlights, HF's $10 Quantum 588 lumen Tactical Flashlight is excellent. It has 4 AAA's. I like mine.

And HF's $5 LED camp lantern is handy too.

Looks like its time to put my Coleman 200A (red, single mantle) on Ebay. Hundreds of them sold over $300!!
Wow, those things do go for a lot!! I've got one of the green ones (mine uses white gas, not kerosene like the one pictured). Haven't used it in years.

Got the 2 LED ones you mention...that Quantum is bright!!!! The lantern isn't from HF, but it's essentially the same thing, think I got it at Ocean State Joblots 3 or 4 years ago. Nice for when the power goes out.
I problem with flashlights in the winter is how poor the batteries work and last.
I'm trying some lithium's we will see how they work in the cold.
I haven't had as much of a problem with LED flashlights in cold weather as with halogen/incandescent ones. Makes sense, they draw a lot less current. Even the bargain basement HF alkalines seem to be OK, though I can't say I've tried to use them at sub-zero temperatures.
One thing I don't miss about old-school D-cell flashlights is after a few years something inside stops making a good connection...have to keep shaking it to get any light.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,595  
Several years ago, I bought a US General 26" x 22" Roller Cabinet. The cabinet has been great - drawers operate smoothly even when heavily loaded, and it has held up well.

I've been happy with the purchase except for one thing: every year, a new family of mice move in. The usually pick a drawer and fill it with seeds, shredded up paper shop towels, and mouse poop. This year, there were 6 of them living in there.

I clean it out each time, but it's getting really annoying. This is the year where I'm finally going to empty the cabinet out turn it over, figure out how they are getting in, and see if I can find a way to stop them.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have you found a way to mouse-proof the cabinet?

I'd love to keep them out of my shop entirely, but haven't figured out how they are getting in. The scented mouse repellents and sonic repellers have absolutely no effect. I catch some in mouse traps regularly. I don't want to use poison, since our cat is a mouser (and I also don't want to poison the owls and hawks we have around the place).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,597  
Several years ago, I bought a US General 26" x 22" Roller Cabinet. The cabinet has been great - drawers operate smoothly even when heavily loaded, and it has held up well.

I've been happy with the purchase except for one thing: every year, a new family of mice move in. The usually pick a drawer and fill it with seeds, shredded up paper shop towels, and mouse poop. This year, there were 6 of them living in there.

I clean it out each time, but it's getting really annoying. This is the year where I'm finally going to empty the cabinet out turn it over, figure out how they are getting in, and see if I can find a way to stop them.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have you found a way to mouse-proof the cabinet?

I'd love to keep them out of my shop entirely, but haven't figured out how they are getting in. The scented mouse repellents and sonic repellers have absolutely no effect. I catch some in mouse traps regularly. I don't want to use poison, since our cat is a mouser (and I also don't want to poison the owls and hawks we have around the place).
Well, that may be better than in your car. I've heard Uncle Gus's repellent is supposed to help but I have no real world experience.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,598  
Well, that may be better than in your car. I've heard Uncle Gus's repellent is supposed to help but I have no real world experience.
We get them in the cars as well. Had to drop the fuel tank in our Subaru twice when they built a nest on top and chewed through some lines. It seems like every two years or so they build a nest in the cabin air filter of the Tacoma.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,599  
Hsve you tried the 5gal bucket trap yet?
I have not tried that yet, since I've been catching them in mechanical mouse traps so far.

Some of them seem more intent on the tool box than in the bait on the traps. My real goal is in mouse-proofing the tool box by closing whatever openings they are using to get in. I may end up removing the casters, screening over the whole bottom, then replacing the casters.