Hard cold start

/ Hard cold start #1  

Josh2220

Tractor
Kioti CS2220
I just got a new CS2220 and I have about five hours on it. Is it common for it to shake violently on cold start up. I live in ND and the majority of winter is below freezing. I have tried to find a block heater but the dealer said they don't make them this small so I'm getting a pan heater just because. I've tried key back cycle plugs, key forward plug light out multiple times and it wants to shake itself apart when it actually starts. This start-up wasn't as bad but it still struggles a bit.

/ Hard cold start #2  
Shaking means 1 or more cylinders isn't firing. Feel the exhaust port after starting to i.d. it. Using winter fuel? Check glow plug(s) for actually heating, test to see if injector is leaking out before the head. Could be defective injector. Stuck valve, ...

/ Hard cold start #3  
@Josh2220
In addition to what has been suggested, your dealer is full of it. I'm surprised that in ND your tractor didn't come with a block heater, and imho you should certainly install one.
Find who makes the engine, and go from there. You'll need to know the freeze plug diameter, and preferably how much clearance you have to work with in the block. Some heaters make a 90 degree bend, some are long, some very short. Worst case is you could install the type that threads into a sleeve, which then is pressed into the block. They work with zero clearance in the block depth wise. That's the type I installed in my Kubota.
Post the question here on tbn with the relevant information and perhaps someone here can get you squared away.

/ Hard cold start #4  
Is it factory fill in the crankcase? I imagine its some plain stout 15W40. My tractor certainly starts less smoothly with oil with poor low temperature flow. I've run Rotella T6 5W40 and the starts are much much better in the cold. I now run Rotella T4 15W40 and it flows a bit better than Rotella T3 15W40 and most conventional 15W40's.
For real cold starts a syn 5W40 will make a big difference in my experience.

/ Hard cold start #5  
Make sure that you have winter fuel in the tank, add a reputable cold flow improver with cetane boost and you should see an improvement. The cetane if it’s a good quality, will reduce the rattle on a cold start…

/ Hard cold start #6  
Those little diesel engines are a little rough running until they all fire ,you need heat .

/ Hard cold start #8  
Lower radiator hose heater. I had that and two block heaters in mine. Was always starting a warm engine. Most engine wear comes from cold starts.

/ Hard cold start #9  
The Daedong indirect injected engines are miserable to start in the cold. I installed a lower hose heater on mine, preheat an hour before attempting to start and she pops right off. Before you would swear it was coming apart

/ Hard cold start #10  
Oil pan heat pad. Will heat the entire engine. Easy to install. Amazon sells a bunch of different sizes. Look at your oil pan and figure out where you can attach one and what size would fit.