Hard starting Kioti

/ Hard starting Kioti #1  

KevinMcD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I'm new to this forum so this question may have been asked before. I couldn't find info doing a search so hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction. I have a LK3054, made in the early 90's. When its cool out (40's), the tractor is hard to start. I pre-heat for about 15-30 seconds, then turn it over. It takes numerous tries before it starts. It puts out a lot of smoke when it finally does start. I think it may need glow plugs, but the indicator is broken. I am going to replace the glow plugs anyway, but is there anything else I should be looking at as the cause of the problem? Thanks in advance.

Kevin McD.

/ Hard starting Kioti #2  
<font color="blue"> When its cool out (40's), the tractor is hard to start. I pre-heat for about 15-30 seconds, then turn it over. </font>

15 seconds is probably too short. I'd wait for at least 30 seconds when the temps are that cold.

/ Hard starting Kioti #3  
I would just try replacing the indicator first. If the indicator is not working then that would cause the glow plugs not to work. Let me know if you have any questions.

/ Hard starting Kioti #4  
The indicator is a resistor....if it is broken the glow plugs aren't working. Whatever you do DO NOT I repeat DO NOT try to jump around the indicator (wire across). You will be replacing more than just the indicator if you do.

KIOHIO

/ Hard starting Kioti
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the tractor is tucked away for the winter, but as soon as spring comes, I'll replace the indicator first.

Kevin

/ Hard starting Kioti #6  
Hi Kevin,

Regarding your hard starting 3054, the other postings were giving good advice and hopefully will correct your problem. An other possibility would be the injectors need rebuilding, you mentioned the smoke and it made me wonder if the injectors are dumping to much fuel into the cylinders and causing the excessive smoke. If it cranked fine all summer more than likely it is the glow plugs not working. I had a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder tractor and it had a similar problem, and turned out 2 of the 3 glow plugs were bad, I replaced them and it started great.

By the way I'm also new to this forum, these guys are Great!

Gene

/ Hard starting Kioti #7  
I have had kioties and kubotas with the indicator that you could not see turn orange but it still heated up.
Put your finger over the hole and see if you can feel heat, you will have to hold the key longer than 15sec.