Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core?

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I understand the difference between "Hard Wire" (MIG) and Gassless Flux Core (FCAW).

I've been seeing references to "Dual Shield Flux Core" and it needs shielding gass.

What is the difference between Dual Shield Flux Core and the others?

I'm experimenting with FCAW because I mostly weld outside. I'm also experimenting with stick welding.

MIG interests me because (I think), there is no slag to remove. Downside is needing shielding gas and, therefore, needing windless conditions. Is there slag with Dual Shield Flux Core?

The need to remove slag on FCAW, I think, helps with the duty cycle issues of some smaller welders. Simply put, if you have to clean slag every time you stop welding, that increases the time delays between welds, thereby meaning you don't need as robust a duty cycle.

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #2  
Dual Shield Flux Core Welding Basics - YouTube

The duel shield has its place for production. It has slag so it’s probably not for you. Plus it’s not as versatile for the home shop- at least in my experience.

If you are outside it’s hard to beat good old arc welding. Gasless wire feed welding just hasn’t caught on or caught up- at least in the commercial setting.

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #3  
for stupid small projects I'm all for flux core, it's easy to set up and for small stuff a 110V welder is easier to find power for.

For anything big to repair or make, stick welding is my go to, 6011 and 7018 are always at hand.

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #4  
After a long time of frustration with flux core (FCAW), went to solid wire and shield gas (GMAW) and never looked back... Flux core has it's places, but not prominent in my shop....

Oh yeah, I have a roll of flux core, but its not been on machine in maybe 5 year, does it go bad if not used?

Dual shield flux core is probably not something average home/farm/small scale fabricator is probably not ever going to need or use...

Basically flux core (FCAW) has slag and will have spatter, solid wire and shield gas has no slag and very minor amount of spatter (most time for me, no clean up needed)...

Dale

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #5  
I have a welder set up with .045 dual shield but rarely use it on smaller projects.

IMG_0424.JPG

Even if your machine is able to run it, you may not be able to fully take advantage of dual shield if it maxes out the duty cycles.

I use .023 and 035 solid wire with gas in the shop in these two Thermal Arcs.

IMG_6934.JPG

Dual shield for big jobs inside or out. Stick for the fun of it and (or) small jobs outside.

Stick (SMAW) is by far my favorite. I find it relaxing.

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #6  
I occasionally make skids for placing 100 Ton A/C units on top of large buildings. The first one I welded with 7018 stick but switched to dual shield immediately afterwards. It cut welding time in half.

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #7  
The advantage of Dual Shield is the fast freeze slag on the outside. Kind of like stick welding slag but it comes off much easier. It will run on CO2 or 75/25 and is wonderful for out of position welding. The fluxcore creates a fast freeze puddle that holds great on overhead or vertical up/down. It's also a direct low hydrogen replacement for 7018 only in a wire. The average guy prodably won't buy it because it's a bit higher cost. Try it !!

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #8  
I now use dual shield for most everything 1/4” and thicker. It works well for farm type stuff since it is a lot more tolerant of rust or poor surface preparation than regular mig.
I have a smaller welder loaded with .023 for thinner stuff.

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #9  
I now use dual shield for most everything 1/4 and thicker. It works well for farm type stuff since it is a lot more tolerant of rust or poor surface preparation than regular mig.
I have a smaller welder loaded with .023 for thinner stuff.

Dual shield is great stuff. Not really needed for light duty things but if you have a lot of welds to do on thicker materials it is great. It takes a lot of amps though. Several times I have got my gun so hot I couldn稚 hold it and had to stop and let it cool.

/ Hard wire, Dual Shield Flux Core, Gasless Flux Core? #10  
Dual shield is great stuff. Not really needed for light duty things but if you have a lot of welds to do on thicker materials it is great. It takes a lot of amps though. Several times I have got my gun so hot I couldn稚 hold it and had to stop and let it cool.

Time to upgrade to a bigger gun