Disc Harrow Harley rake (power rake)

/ Harley rake (power rake) #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have about 7 acres that’s in grass and we currently mow but is somewhat rough. It was used previously as tilled agricultural land so still has some small ridges that are close together which makes mowing not so fun. Even on a ATV or UTV it’s a bouncy ride. Would you guys think a power rake to be best or just disk and drag it out? Been considering to do this for a year or so and think I’m ready to tackle the job. Thanks.

/ Harley rake (power rake) #2  
I have a power rake. It's an amazing tool and would leave your ground looking like a golf course. 7 acres will take a while to rake, but more than likely you'll be ready to seed after a single pass.

/ Harley rake (power rake)
Maybe I could do it in phases. How long would a single acre take? Any idea? Might be good anyway in case I get a wash out it won’t be on such a big loss if I have to re-do everything

/ Harley rake (power rake) #4  
We have kind of the same situation here.. We have 2 pastures, one about 7 acres, the other 17 acres, that are reclaimed bush and lodge pole pine forest.. So even with all the stumps gone it is quite rough.. A very few places I have been using a disk to level a few small but very rough parts.. It would be too much to do without caterpillar size equipment..

Both pastures have been unused for a number of years, so I have been mowing it in sections and seeding perennial rye... With smaller equipment.. It will take a considerable time and attention, but I am making progress in recovering it to more usable condition..

/ Harley rake (power rake) #5  
Doing it in stages would the way to go I think. Also, I think you will need to probably disc the areas you want to refurbish first to break up the existing grass, otherwise it will just wrap up around the drum of the rake. Plus it will loosen the soil and you will get a much better job in the end. Are you using a rake on a tractor or skid steer?

/ Harley rake (power rake) #6  
Mow grass very short (scalp) as first step.

If you already have a Disc Harrow with pans at least 20" in diameter, providing enough weight to actually move some dirt, sequence to the Disc.

You will need to cross the land two or three times, when soil is moist, adjusting the Disc to cut finer each pass.

Then drag.

A Disc is versatile. A Harley Rake is a specialized implement you will not use many hours.

DISC HARROW ADJUSTMENT: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ing-three-point-hitch-mounted.html?highlight=

VIDEO: How to Use a Disc Harrow - Model 3 - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Harley rake (power rake)
I have two disk harrows. A 6ft Brown with 22” disk on 9” spacing and a Athens 8ft with 24” disk on 9” spacing. But in my experience it’s hard to get a real smooth seed bed for mowing purposes. This will be large lawn areas not fields. My thinking is buy a Harley rake then sale it once I’m done. Will cost me a few thousand but feel I may end up with a much smoother surface.

My plan is to spray round up then mow dead material all the way down. At this point I’m ready to move dirt.

/ Harley rake (power rake) #8  
How about a rotavator from TSC or the like? Go over it with your disk, then rotavator would leave it like a garden.

/ Harley rake (power rake) #9  
I have a Harley Pro 8 power rake. Great machine. First pass is always the most impressive. Then you can do a lot of driving for little more gain. BIG trouble on large areas is where the windrowed garbage goes. You need a way to collect it.

DSC00314.JPG

DSC03593.JPG

This is how I collected material. Not my place but a job I did, that I thought at times I would never get done!

Or a typical before and after at my place. Removing part of a fence row.

DSC00301.JPG

DSC00318.JPG

AND maybe the last project. The worst overgrown, rock infested area I had. I did bring in heavy equipment, but the Harley makes it picture perfect!

DSC04526.JPG

DSC04689.JPG

Last edited:
   / Harley rake (power rake) #10  
You should be able to rent a Harley rake from a good equipment dealer. I also think that once you have one you'll find that it has many more uses than just lawn prep an my experience is you should be able to buy a good used unit and pretty much sell it for exactly what you bought it for years later. If you're looking for a smooth lawn area with minimum labor/time I'm certain the Harley rake is the way to go.