Has anybody tried the lead free ammo?

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I've been thinking about trying some ever since this summer, when I shot a woodchuck with my .22 and left him for the ravens and the foxes. I did price a box of no lead .22s and they seemed rather pricey at least for that caliber... Plus I have at least 5 years of lead ammo stockpiled for most of my guns.
Yet an email I just recieved from our state fish and wildlife was trying to convert people claims it isn't that much more expensive. Of course they also stated that
Hunters typically only use two or less bullets per year on large game, and a few bullets to sight the firearm in, allowing the purchase of a box of copper bullets to last multiple seasons.
Although the ammo shortage of the last 2 years has curtailed my target shooting, I must not qualify as a "typical hunter." :D
Still, it might be worth it to buy a box for hunting, and burn my lead up on the range.

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo? #2  
I shot an elk with a wooden bullet,it just gave him splinters and peed him off.

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo? #3  
yea, frangibles for really close steel shooting, and some all copper for good expansion from a 300 bo. depending on what you are doing, lead is cheaper and still makes better groups than anything else I have used. Is the objective to keep the crows and vultures from getting lead poisoning? :)

Best,

ed

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo? #4  
Lead poisoning is a leader in the deaths of carrion eaters. The north American condor was almost extinct, and would be if not for the intense conservation efforts being put forth.

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo? #5  
I don't hunt anymore, but i remember using steel shot in the shotgun when hunting for waterfowl. It flew just a bit different, but easy to adjust for, plus i never really went for the iffy, for me, long shots.

My dad on the other hand had no problems, he was a very good shot. He'd wait till everybody shot their wads, then shoot, if people wanted to get their limits filled.

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo? #6  
Other then my 22s I pretty much use all copper for hunting. I’ll sight in with some cheap target fmj if I can obtain it for that caliber. I mostly use barnes. No failures yet and very consistent expansion.

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo?
Is the objective to keep the crows and vultures from getting lead poisoning? :)
That is my concern. I try to avoid killing off target animals, although it may lead to me going after them later.
It may seem odd that I don't want to poison the family of foxes I have around, since I lost multiple hens to them this summer.
Yet it's also a banner year for rodents; and based on the scat in my field, that same family has been quite active mousing in the last few weeks. Mice can and have raised Cain with my fruit trees.

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo? #8  
That is my concern. I try to avoid killing off target animals, although it may lead to me going after them later.
It may seem odd that I don't want to poison the family of foxes I have around, since I lost multiple hens to them this summer.
Yet it's also a banner year for rodents; and based on the scat in my field, that same family has been quite active mousing in the last few weeks. Mice can and have raised Cain with my fruit trees.
I can see not wanting to kill foxes. I won't drag this into my environmental beliefs.

I believe bird shot is a higher risk than slugs, even small caliber, as the critters will eat it without noticing, I think a fox would probably pick out a small rifle bullet.

Norma does make a lead free varmint 22. Check your zero, as they are light and will probably have different point of impact than the lead bullets.

Best,

ed

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo? #9  
I have never seen a lead .22 bullet fragment. So how will it poison a bird or fox? I suppose if they swallow the whole bullet it will "come out in the end"...so to speak. Seems unlikely much of the bullet will dissolve during its rather brief journey.

I frankly do not believe much of the "hype" about how lead bullets being a significant cause. Some of the stuff I have read is so silly (a bullet leaves hundreds of fragments) to be laughable.

But it is what you believe that counts!!!

I will keep using what works for me and that is lead bullets. I do recycle my lead batteries, so I am doing my part...LOL/

/ Has anybody tried the lead free ammo?
^^^
You could very well be right. I have never dug the bullet from a woodchuck or other animal after shooting it with my .22, so can't say what happened to it.