Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I
I wonder ....... could it be caused by a PTO shaft. Not properly cut. Too long and snaps off the stub when implement is raised.

All of that - plus a defective stub. Poor casting.
Again, not cast. They are forged and machined to specification.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #12  
PTO stubs ARE NOT CAST, they are forged and machined from solid steel. It's inclusion, not conclusion btw. Most all stubs start life as bar stock and then are machined and externally broached to develop the splines.
Yes, it seems that autocorrect is re-enabled. Send your complaint to Samsung.

You give India too much credit if you think they forge or cnc.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #13  
Neighbors leased a pretty good sized John Deer and rented a manure agitating pump to pump out manure pit , your supposed to disconnect the PTO before backing into or pulling out of the pit but they forgot to unhook the PTO , the PTO stub didn’t break but the case did so they successfully had it welded but they wound up having to buy the leased tractor. The universal joints on the PTO shaft on the pump was also ruined so they had to buy a new shaft. Pretty expensive mistake !

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #14  
You said kioti: cheap casting that was'nt x-rayed for conclusions. Unfortunately it is not all that uncommon.
Automotive crankshafts and camshafts are typically cast (nodular iron, etc) when not not forged (cranks). Transmission shafts are commonly 4140 which through-hardens. It's not a steel that's cast, but hot-rolled into rounds. btw, I sharpened a LOT of spline broaches for a GM transmission plant late in my tenure there. Doesn't mean I learned much working in the engine & transmission plants years earlier. :rolleyes:

... it seems that auto-correct is re-enabled. ... You give India too much credit if you think they forge or cnc.

Auto-correct isn't so hot if it changes the name of a country. :sneaky: I don't own a Kioti but I know where they come from.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #15  
Automotive crankshafts and camshafts are typically cast (nodular iron, etc) when not not forged (cranks). Transmission shafts are commonly 4140 which through-hardens. It's not a steel that's cast, but hot-rolled into rounds. btw, I sharpened a LOT of spline broaches for a GM transmission plant late in my tenure there. Doesn't mean I learned much working in the engine & transmission plants years earlier. :rolleyes:
I bet you're pretty good at sharpening a LOT of spline broaches for a GM transmission.

That's the good and bad of piece work. Even after 16 years, I think I could build a mini-standard for Deere in my sleep.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #16  
I'm on another tractor related forum and a person posted they broke off their pto stub on a Kioti but never replied how. My question is how do you do that? In 30 years of farming, I've never broken one and I'm curious as to how it's done.

In my case, I'm on my 3rd shaft having snapped it twice. Took me a while to figure it out.

I have a hydraulically powered flexwing mower behind mine. (hydraulic hoses spin motors above each blade). I have a "Speed Increaser" that is attached to my PTO to take my 540 shaft up to 2160 RPM's to which the hydraulic pump is now attached.

Long story short, my 3-point arms have some "connector" (instead of chains or stabilizer bar) connected to them. This connector is hinged. You can move one arm, NOT TOUCH the other arm and the other arm will move in concert with the one you are moving, as though you were spreading or compressing them both together.

What I found out is as my arms swayed just a bit, this connector piece would rotate up ever so slighly and hit the bottom of the speed increaser.....which was attached to the shaft.

My arms were actually tied down with some wires but they still moved a little. This was enough. This side pressure snapped the shaft several times on me making me pull the whole assembly out to put a new shaft in.

Once I figured out what was happening, I removed that connector piece and it's been totally fine since.

Edit for clarification: My speed increaser is bolted to the tractor itself once it's slid on the PTO shaft. You mount it, thread the four bolts. Start tractor and engage PTO so the motor is idling. As it's slowly rotating, you torque it down and this helps to center it. It's not hanging on the shaft itself as I may have inferred above.

Last edited:
   / Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I
My Land Pride bat wing is straight PTO driven with a splitter gearbox in the center and 2 outboard gear boxes. Don't know for sure if I'd like a hydraulic driven one, but again never tried one.

Yes, it seems that autocorrect is re-enabled. Send your complaint to Samsung.

You give India too much credit if you think they forge or cnc.
Don't give India ANY credit for anything. Both my M's were built in Japan and shipped here. Ever bother reading what you post? Just curious.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #19  
This is what I used to use for mowing my lawn,
tractor mounted hydraulic pump that powered 7 individual hydraulic motored decks and 7 cylinders to raise each deck.
2012-06-24_13-48-32_122.jpg

2012-06-24_13-49-19_166.jpg

It took longer to do the tight spots and edging with a 44" Deere then to mow 80% of the yard.
Too many danged trees.

This mowers pump is what broke my pto stub shaft,
at the time it broke I didn't have the time needed to pull the top transmission cover off and work on it,
plus it needed a new parking brake and the main service brakes worked on.
Ended up with new master cylinders (2), new brake disc (2) machine work on the brake pistons to use newer
brake discs ( mine is a very early 574) and then I told them while it was apart to add a second set of hydraulic remotes to her,
So no time of mine to say, the shop was about 12 miles away so just drove her there and $5000 later she was back in running shape
with a working pto. I had a motor on one of the decks go out just before the pto mishap so it's been parked for awhile.

2012-06-24_13-48-32_122.jpg2012-06-24_13-49-19_166.jpg

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #20  
Don't give India ANY credit for anything. Both my M's were built in Japan and shipped here. Ever bother reading what you post? Just curious.
Sometimes. However with the steel battle against china, India is the producer of choice for cheap steel and cheap agricultural parts.

Just because I read trade and export docs, does not mean that I require you to understand or care about anything I write.

You are correct, Japan does not buy steel agriculture parts from India.