Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC?

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I'm thinking of replacing my split system AC system myself by buying through a place like Alpine and having a contractor do the refrigerant part. The system is a 1972 Sears (really) set up with an A coil in the furnace and the compressor / condenser on a slab outside. Amazingly, the current system works very well, but sucks power and is so old that it could die at any time.

I'm curious if I can expect a hard time from the building inspector or have difficulty getting a contractor to do a partial install. Of course, I'd need the old refrigerant pulled out before I disassembled the old system plus have the new system evacuated and the new refrigerant installed. Beyond that, I think that I could do it all myself.

Thoughts, experiences to share?

Last edited:
   / Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #2  
No experiences, but I think if the AC guy will sign off as the contractor, you shouldn't have a problem with the inspector.

Changing it out is a good idea. They say that replacing anything over 10 years old, the energy savings will pay for the new equipment. Not sure how long a time frame, though. Good luck.

Larro

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #3  
I've installed two "mini" split systems in my house over the years....the ones that have no ductwork, just a set of lines from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit. Both Mitsubishi units.

Basically, you'd be doing the same thing, since you already have the ductwork in place. I found my AC guys to evac system and turn the pre-charged gas loose on Craig's List. I told then in advance what I was doing and what I wanted.....both of them charged me $100 bucks, which I thought was fair enough for them to come out with the vac pump, do that, and check the gas pressure after release.

Not that this applies in your case, but I LOVE the mini splits.....especially this new one. 23 SEER and so quiet on low, you can't even tell it's running.

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #4  
I was a hvac installer for a number of years, I installed and a teck. would charge the sustem. It will depend on how much the systems are alike and how much you can do. It could likely need new plenums made, (boxes the unit hooks to) or other problems. Most hvac shops could make it for you though.

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC?
I was a hvac installer for a number of years, I installed and a teck. would charge the sustem. It will depend on how much the systems are alike and how much you can do. It could likely need new plenums made, (boxes the unit hooks to) or other problems. Most hvac shops could make it for you though.
Ed, is there a reason why I couldn't just replace the A coil in the updraft furnace plenum with another just like it? As I mentioned, it works fine and cools the house well, it is just ancient.

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #6  
I installed mine, had a licensed contractor pull vacum and level refrigerant, mine came precharged actually he had to take a little out. (depends on length of line set.) piece of cake. I love mine you cant even here it run, I'm using it in my recording studio.

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #7  
The change to 410A will have a much larger coil to use in the Furnace.

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #8  
I installed mine, had a licensed contractor pull vacum and level refrigerant, mine came precharged actually he had to take a little out. (depends on length of line set.) piece of cake. I love mine you cant even here it run, I'm using it in my recording studio.

Most sets are precharged for 25 feet some for 15 feet.

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #9  
The change to 410A will have a much larger coil to use in the Furnace.

Yes, and sometimes are a problem if, you don't have height. Most are about 25-30'' tall. It's also very important to either replace the old refrigerant lines or, make sure the old lines are very, very, very clean .The new 410A refrigerant doesn't like dirty refrigerant lines...Pull a 400 micron vacuum

/ Has Anyone Installed Their Own Split System AC? #10  
Yes, and sometimes are a problem if, you don't have height. Most are about 25-30'' tall. It's also very important to either replace the old refrigerant lines or, make sure the old lines are very, very, very clean .The new 410A refrigerant doesn't like dirty refrigerant lines...Pull a 400 micron vacuum

The lines must go as the pressure will be increased a great deal and will find any and all weak spots on the old lines.