Has haggling died?

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
Sellers now are more savvy on what their stuff can bring, based on many indicators. Ebay's "sold" listing options included. Buyers are expected to also do their homework. A new class of buyer are "resellers". They need a lowball price to make a few bucks from the uninformed sellers. It's funny to me to see buyer ads with a recently bought item still on a trailer that is for sale. They don't even unload it. I'm amazed at how much stuff is going to "garage sales" that is just 1 micro-step above junk. Sellers won't even clean it up, straighten a bent part, or clean off the weeds. Around here "Barn Sales" get premium prices. City dwellers and suburbanites seem to believe that Country sellers are just hicks who don't know the current value of things.

MoKelly

Top Poster Of Month
Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
City dwellers and suburbanites seem to believe that Country sellers are just hicks who don't know the current value of things.

Our place can’t be located via a phone GPS. Plus, part of the drive results in no cell reception.

So city dwellers and suburbanites can’t get here without my help. They get lost and scared.

MoKelly

Cougsfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
I read a article describing street markets in Morocco, where people buy the majority of their goods, and the phycology of their seemingly mandatory haggling. I was a humorous but thoughtful evaluation of haggling. Both vendor and purchaser have an idea of the value of the item before the haggling starts. The vendor asks a ridiculously inflated cost for the item and the purchaser responds with a ridiculously low price, and they haggle back and forth until the reach the true value. This happens on every single sale. A second customer could be waiting behind the first customer to buy an identical item. When it was their turn, they would spend 2 or more minutes doing the exact same haggling and it would end with the exact same result. For the European writing the article it was such a ridiculous waste of time, but for the Moroccans it was part of their culture and a form of social interfacing. I guess I wouldn't enjoy living in Morocco.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
The opening gambit "What's your best price?" immediately marks that person as a beginner haggler to me, and puts them in a weaker position in my mind. My response is always "Make me an offer". (not that it's a regular occurrence)

A motoring guru over here recommends that when buying a car (for example) from a dealer, make your opening offer 15% below asking, and if the salesman goes into full BS mode, be well prepared to leave your number and walk away. If the vehicle on their lot is costing them money, they'll get back to you!
If it's an online query I'll usually double my asking price in response, or just delete the text/email. It's one thing to ask questions about an item to determine if it's something you want and that he price is fair; but I have better things to do with my time than deal with an endless string of tire kickers and lowballers. I put a goos running snowsled on CL a few years ago for 1/2 what it was worth, just to get rid of it. Within 18 hours I had taken it back off because of all of the stupid offers I got for it. No, I don't want your ATV which "Just needs a tuneup".

When I bought my used Kubota in 2018 I had been looking at used and new for several months; they knew what they had and weren't even interested in talking. It was the same way last summer when I was truck shopping; it was the worst time to do so and just finding something new or used was a challenge. I"ve found that "Covid" is a good excuse to offer substandard service. I drove 170 miles to look at a new Colorado only to find it had been sold; I test drove the 2018 which I now own and he didn't care if he sold it to me or not. There was no negotiations, I put a deposit on it that day and when the Carfax indicated it had been in an accident he said they were wrong and just asked me if I wanted my deposit back. So far I haven't regretted it, hopefully that won't change..

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I hope haggling will never go out of style. It's the most enjoyable part of buying and selling. But then I come from a rural background where haggling is common.

And it doesn't always go like you expect.

My son bought an old M-F TLB. He used it a bit, but it ended up having a fairly significant leak from the rear main seal. And it was a huge job to replace (pull and split block). I don't remember the exact numbers, but roughly, he listed it for $4000. A guy came and looked at it and offered $6000. My son said "no, it's not worth more than $4k", and the guy capitulated.

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I was selling a material collection system for a John Deere X500 series tractor a few years ago on Craigslist and had a guy call and say he would take it for my asking price. He arrived the next day with a pickup and trailer and something wrapped in a blanket in the bed of the truck. He started unwrapping the item and I asked him what he was doing. His response was that he was trading a pinball machine on the collection system I had. I clarified with him that there was no discussion about any trade in for the collection system.

After about 5 minutes of trying to convince me that a used pinball machine was the latest rage and that I would be able to sell at a huge profit in the future he left. Some Craigslist sales go fine but not all.