Haul 22 foot reefer box on a trailer?

/ Haul 22 foot reefer box on a trailer? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi All,

This is outside of my area of experience. I just bought a 22 foot reefer box (no truck) and it's located 180 miles away. I have a 3/4 ton dodge ram diesel. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it here.

I have no idea what that thing weighs and google was no help. Anyone hauled something like that before? I have a 16 foot skid steer trailer with the dovetail on the back and I don't think that's going to work that well. I'm considering renting a longer trailer.

Any info you can share would be appreciated.

/ Haul 22 foot reefer box on a trailer? #2  
call a container sales company near you. also a large towing company.
and
a couple trucking companies. someone will know.

/ Haul 22 foot reefer box on a trailer? #3  
I haul 20 foot conex boxes on my 20 foot gooseneck with a 5 foot dove tail. Most of them weigh right at 4000 lbs empty.
With a 2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins, that is about half the rated towing capacity with trailer and load.

/ Haul 22 foot reefer box on a trailer? #4  
And if it was a reefer trailer or box truck, it is going to weigh much less than a conex, sea shipping container

/ Haul 22 foot reefer box on a trailer? #5  
I would not try it with a 16 foot trailer, the Ram and a longer trailer you should be fine.

/ Haul 22 foot reefer box on a trailer?
The truck sales place is thinking it may go 10,000 pounds. That seems high to me.

I can't locate a bumper pull trailer that long that is available for rent. I could probably find a gooseneck but I'd have to add a hitch to my truck. Right now I'm checking some towing companies. Nothing is ever easy.

/ Haul 22 foot reefer box on a trailer? #7  
so... OP how did you move it?