Hauling a load of firewood

/ Hauling a load of firewood #1  

ENC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4600
I don't know if this should go in the hauling/towing something wrong thread or the guess the weight of this log.

I am just starting a new thread. The homeowner just wanted the wood gone and I am always on the hunt for extra firewood. At 45 minutes one way, I didn't want to make 2 trips. I was definetly heavy on the way home. No stopping problems with good brakes all around but I have hauled some heavy loads with the old powerstroke and this one was very sluggish on take off.

I knew I needed some ballast bit I had already unhooked my box blade in anticipation of taking the tractor in for service and since I knew I was going to be heavy anyway I left it off. I just figured if any were too heavy I would cut them in half. The big one in the picture on the tractor is all she wanted to lift. In fact I couldn't take a picture with it in the air because if I stood up that was all it took to raise the loaded rears off the ground. It measures a little over 11 feet long, 24" across the base and 77" around , measures 66" around at its narrowest before it bells back out for the split.

/ Hauling a load of firewood #2  
Wow you got your money's worth on that trip. I bet the folks on the towing thread could provide advice about the CGVW of your rig.

/ Hauling a load of firewood #3  
Good job!!!! I get myself into positions like this frequently!!!

Now hang on,,,, cause the Safety Police are gonna dogpile ya!!! Good work!!! :)

/ Hauling a load of firewood #4  
If you are gonna haul a load, haul a GOOD load! And that looks like a good load.

/ Hauling a load of firewood #5  
Hope you have a good chainsaw and a powered log splitter. That should keep you in firewood for a few days.

/ Hauling a load of firewood
Thanks for all the input. Yes I have several good saws and a splitter. I burn wood from November to early April every year. Usually about 5 cords. Not sure of the GCWR but I bet I was over.

/ Hauling a load of firewood #7  
That's a helluva load! Looks like some back breaking work bucking, spliting, hauling ect. Fun though. :)

/ Hauling a load of firewood #8  
I would guess 800 to 1000# for that big log. Hard to figure it with its shape, split, and looks a little punky at the base.

Nice load though. What kind of wood is it?

/ Hauling a load of firewood #10  
Air bags on that rear axle would have leveled the tow vehicle right out. I added them to my Tundra and it helps a lot with heavy loads.