Hawke 6x12 Dump Trailer

/ Hawke 6x12 Dump Trailer #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
When the time comes, I think I've found the dump trailer I'm going to purchase. After looking at various dump trailers that were either very expensive, under-built, etc..., I finally discovered one that is priced right and seems to be built like a tank, relatively speaking.

The trailer I am referring to is the Hawke 6x12 dump trailer, equipped with a scissor lift, and rated for 10,000#. It seems to be very well constructed and the best part is that there is a dealer approximately 15 minutes from my home. And the price is right too, I was quoted $5100 out the door. The pull-out cover shown in the pictures is an option that costs a few hundred extra.

http://www.hawketrailers.com/dump.html

Just to be sure, does anyone know anything about Hawke dump trailers?

/ Hawke 6x12 Dump Trailer #2  
When the time comes, I think I've found the dump trailer I'm going to purchase. After looking at various dump trailers that were either very expensive, under-built, etc..., I finally discovered one that is priced right and seems to be built like a tank, relatively speaking.

The trailer I am referring to is the Hawke 6x12 dump trailer, equipped with a scissor lift, and rated for 10,000#. It seems to be very well constructed and the best part is that there is a dealer approximately 15 minutes from my home. And the price is right too, I was quoted $5100 out the door. The pull-out cover shown in the pictures is an option that costs a few hundred extra.

Hawke Trailers by Tow-Rite

Just to be sure, does anyone know anything about Hawke dump trailers?

What does it weigh empty? If its a 10K trailer and it weighs 3,000# you can only haul 7,000#. I am sure you know this but many don't.

As for price I am not sure where they are anymore. My uncle has either a 2004 or 2005 14' Brimar Bumper Pull with dual 7,000# axles so its a 14,000# trailer but it wights 4,200# empty so the useful load is 9,800# or about 5 tons.

He paid $ 4,000 for it new at the county fair when they were selling them there.

Chris

/ Hawke 6x12 Dump Trailer
What does it weigh empty? If its a 10K trailer and it weighs 3,000# you can only haul 7,000#. I am sure you know this but many don't.

These are the specs for the trailer. I only plan to haul around 6000# (3 tons) at any given time so it leaves me plenty of margin for error.

GVWR 10,000 lb.
Empty Weight 3,150 lb.
Cargo Capacity 6850 lb.
6 ft. x 12 ft. Bed Size
2 ft. Sides
Scissor Lift
Two Axle Brakes
Breakaway Switch
Deep Cycle Battery
15" Tires
5,000 lb. Jack
20 ft. Hand Remote
2 Way Tailgate
25/16" A-frame Coupler

/ Hawke 6x12 Dump Trailer #4  
I know the guy who builds Hawke trailers. I've actually known him for years. They are well built trailers and he will stand behind them.

/ Hawke 6x12 Dump Trailer #5  
Nice looking trailer, MasseyWV!

I know the guy who builds Hawke trailers. I've actually known him for years. They are well built trailers and he will stand behind them.

I actually called the number listed on their website and spoke to some people at Hawke and they seemed like good old fashioned southerners. They were courteous and answered all my questions without fail and even told me that I could have a dump trailer customized to any number of different configurations, within reason, although I'd have to order it through a dealer,.

/ Hawke 6x12 Dump Trailer #7  
I have a single cylinder direct lift (not scissor) dump trailer made by Western Dump. It is also 6' x 12', 9980 lb rated, which weighs only 1980 lb empty, giving it 8000 lb cargo capacity.

I have had it for two years and have made well over 120 trips with it in that time. All I can say is it has lasted like a mother-in-law's curse. Everything from dirt, gravel, construction supplies, construction debris and chunks of concrete. If I look very carefully at the floor, I can see a little bit of "roller coaster" but nothing over 1/16".

A few times the guy at the quarry has overloaded it with gravel, maybe 9000 lb payload and no problems. Once I had to get 3 guys to stand on the rear of the load to get it to raise. $4400.

Think long and hard about that scissor lift, it increases weight and cost, and decreases payload.

Think long and hard about that scissor lift, it increases weight and cost, and decreases payload.

I have thought long and hard about it and have done a considerable amount of research which leads me to believe the scissor lift is the best way to go.

/ Hawke 6x12 Dump Trailer #9  
MasseyWV said:
I have thought long and hard about it and have done a considerable amount of research which leads me to believe the scissor lift is the best way to go.
I'm curious what led you to that decision. I see a scissor lift only costing more money, lowering payload by adding weight and increasing maintenance by adding more moving parts to grease...
It doesn't dump faster and seems to lift as well as a standard straight piston and not better.

On a side note, that looks like a well made trailer but wow is it heavy...

I'm curious what led you to that decision. I see a scissor lift only costing more money, lowering payload by adding weight and increasing maintenance by adding more moving parts to grease...
It doesn't dump faster and seems to lift as well as a standard straight piston and not better.

Mostly, it's just my personal preference. But...

You see scissor lifts used everywhere, on "smaller" dumptrucks, bucket trucks, dump bed conversions, etc.. so in my eyes, they are a proven design. Having read stories about some of the single and dual cylinder designs failing to lift the rated capacity of the dump trailer, and observing that the cylinder attachment points for "some" single cylinder designs don't seem very strong, I'd rather not take any chances.

Single cylinder designs are lighter and cheaper to manufacture, making them more profitable to sell, which in my opinion, is why you don't see them on more dump trailers, except on the larger and heavier models, which says something in and of itself.

My research indicates that one of the dirty little secrets of the single cylinder design, is that it often causes excessive stress on the hinge points, potentially leading to sudden and catastrophic failure. In addition, to compensate for the decreased lifting capacity of many single cylinder designs, I have read that many manufacturers will move the hing point inward, thus decreasing the lift angle and causing one to have to pull much farther foreward to fully empty the load.

On many single cylinder designs, one also has to be very careful to load it evenly or the box might twist when the center mounted cylinder lifts it, which could damage the box or bend the frame. Scissor lifts effectively prevent the bed from racking or twisting when dumping heavy or uneven loads.

I'm no engineer so I can't comment on the precise engineering aspects of each design. All I have to go on is my personal observations which tell me that the scissor lift is the best and safest way to go.

On a side note, that looks like a well made trailer but wow is it heavy...

Yes it's heavy, but that's because they use thick steel in it's construction, but I'm more than happy to sacrifice a few hundred pounds of hauling capacity and having to grease a few additional fittings to ensure that I have a dump trailer that is both strong and reliable.

A few days ago I visited my local Hawke dealer to look at their dump trailers in person and make my final determination. They only had the 6x10 version of the dump trailer on the lot, which is identical to the 6x12, except for the length. Overall, I observed that the Hawke dump trailers are very well made and I am confident that my decision will be ultimately be a good one.