Hay bale proceser

/ Hay bale proceser #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I have this Idea, and the idea is to build a hay bale processor,

most of feed I have is of lower quality, and have felt that I would save a lot if it was ground and put out in a row rather than just dumping a bale,

been looking at various ideas of commercial units,

the one I like is the Bale boss 2, Tubeline Manufacturing LTD. - Accelerator

http://www.tubeline.ca/pdf/fpc/FPC-Baleboss.pdf

it is a square bale processer,
but I would think it would work on round as well, may be with a small side fence to keep the round on the platform, I would like to be able to use square bales as well, (my old round baler is about gone, and I do not know who I would hire in the future and the type of machine they have, the large squares are popular around here.

I like the idea of the self loader so I would only need to start one tractor, to feed, and to be able to carry two bales to feed,

the flail on the side would make it easer to construct, and to make it work,

I would want a shield on it so it would be in a row instead of just spread out like a combine straw spreader.

/ Hay bale proceser
The first Idea I liked was this one,

the problem is it would take a second tractor to load with and (I guess one could make the drum large enough to handle a square bale,

and possibly one could make the drum tip with some forks on it to be able to load with some how

but what I really liked was the way the rotor in the front would work in line with the PTO,

any one see a easy way of combining the two for loading like the front one and the sheading of the second,

Any Ideas, or thoughts

I would think one could change the teeth/knives number on the fineness of the shredding, and possibly some type of device on how much of the teeth was in the bale at one time,

/ Hay bale proceser
some thing like this could be done as well, but looks like a lot of moving parts,

/ Hay bale proceser #4  
I bought a swath chopper (used in the days that combines didnt have a straw chopper built in) and a 3pt feeder bucket with the parts to feed a bale into the flail chopper. Tested it by backing up into a big bale in the walkway of the horse barn, they coughed so loud from the dust that i never carried out the idea.

For horses or sheep, i would consider a hydraulic cutter, something like a french frie cutter with vertical blades and a hydraulic ram. It would cut straw (that has to be manually cleaned from the pens) without the dust.

/ Hay bale proceser
I was not really looking for a bedding chopper but a machine that would make some feed more palatable and not spread it all over the country but in a nice neat row piled up so they could all get to it and not make mats of waste,

so I think I would need some thing that was not as aggressive as some of the units above. some of why I am asking, for ideas, but in the past I have had some course stems and it was all wasted, Just trying to do a better job of feeding and making more complete use of the feed I have,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is why I was thinking of the tomahawk unit for basic design, as with the front rotor I think one could change the cutter type on the unit and the number of them, so I think one could adjust the out put fairly easily and the coarseness' of the out put, of the ground hay. but think I would need some type of self loading unit, and do not really see an easy way of doing that with the first one, and if one ended up with square bales would it work? or how big of a tub would be needed,

Last edited:
   / Hay bale proceser #6  
Teagle makes these tub grinders for square bales too: They just have a longer drum, so the bale can be put in lengthwise.

/ Hay bale proceser #7  
why not just inject the bale with liquid feed/syrup They will eat every straw

/ Hay bale proceser
why not just inject the bale with liquid feed/syrup They will eat every straw
I guess I have to look into that it is not a standard practice around here, (I know of no one that does that), some do grind there hay tho,

do you do it just at feeding or can one do it ahead of time?

/ Hay bale proceser #9  
Either way. It's done on rounds around here. Plenty of info on internet about it . I had some poor hsy last yr that I just stood on end and dipped a 5 gal bucket out of my molasses trough and poured it on it let it set 4 or 5 days and it penetrated really well. They ate every stem of it.

/ Hay bale proceser #10  
How about something like this? Two drums rotating against each other, the one with knives and the other with teeth to prevent the ball to rotate freely. It also sits a chain at the bottom to bring the ball forward. The video shows lots of extra equipment installed but you see the idea.