Hay Bale sizing

/ Hay Bale sizing #1  

EarPlug

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1635
I am trying to figure out how many "standard" size hay bales would equal the large 4x4x8 bales. Also, how much do the large bales weigh?

Is $65 per large bale a good price for grass hay?

Jack

/ Hay Bale sizing #2  
I am thinking my neighbor said about 16 square bales per round bale, round bales weighing about 1000 lbs. This of course is with his equiptment.

/ Hay Bale sizing #3  
Here's a very rough estimate as size can vary from machine to machine and even from bale to bale...

small square bale = 1.5'x1.5'x3' = 6.75 cu ft
large square bale (your dims) = 4x4x8 = 128 cu ft

So about 19 small bales in one of your large bales. Prices vary by region and by type of hay. Here they can be anywhere from 2.50 - 4.00$ each. At 4$, your large bale would be worth 76$.

Sorry for the fluffy info.

Paul

/ Hay Bale sizing #4  
Re: Hay Bale sizing

What "STANDARD" are you using? The 25, 30 or 50lb bale sizes

/ Hay Bale sizing #6  
I don't think you can do a volume comparision in this case. small square bales are not nearly as compressed as large square bales so you realy need to use weight. Most small square bales we buy are in the 45-50lb range and go for 2 -2.50 in the upstate NY area. (Horse hay)

/ Hay Bale sizing #7  
I agree the only way to do this to figure out how good of a deal you are getting is by weight. Figure out the prices per ton. So many people get screwed buying hay by the bale. At any rate $65 for grass hay in this area would be robbery. You can buy excellent quality alfalfa for $45 for a 1600 lb. bale. I sell my 1600 lb. grass hay round bales for $35 a bale.

Round bales are not going to be as efficient as square bales either. Even if you have a round bale feeder they are going to waste alot of the hay. That's why round bales are USUALLY so much cheaper if you figure in the waste and the fact that it takes half the time to do round bales compared to square bales.

/ Hay Bale sizing
The small bales we are currently getting here in drought stricken Colorado are 50lb @ $7 per bale. A friend has imported some of the large bales from Missouri and has some extra at $65 each and I'm trying to figure out is it worth it. Also, I need to figure out if I can move them with my TC29D.

Jack

/ Hay Bale sizing #9  
At that price you only need 10 square bales to equal that. I'd say if they are a thousand pounds you're getting a good deal then. If you could arrange shipping or come get them I can sell you all the square bales you want for $2.25 a piece and all the round bales you want for $35 and $40 a piece. I'm about 750 miles from Denver.

On feeding the round bales at that price I would just fork it off and feed them. You can cut the bales and just roll them out and feed off of it what you need. If you put it all out horses will make a mess of it and waste a fourth or better of it.

/ Hay Bale sizing #10  
The USDA reports average prices received by farmers for all hay, alfalfa hay, and other hay. The URL is

http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/reports/nassr/price/pap-bb/

As you might expect, there is considerable variation in hay prices across states. For example, the US average price in July for alfalfa hay was $102/ton, with a range from $65/ton (in WI & MI) to $153/ton (in TX).