Hay delivery and tips

/ Hay delivery and tips #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Ok so up until now we bought our hay from a small local farmer. He priced delivery and stacking into each delivery.

Due to crappy hay production in northern Indiana this year I am using a different supplier. They are a larger operation. They have priced delivery and stacking into the cost as well.

However the actual people who come and do the delivery and stacking are NOT going to be the owner.

So I am thinking it would be appropriate to tip them? I was thinking like $20 per person? This delivery will be 200 small squares. There is a future delivery from the same company that will be 400 small squares.

Thoughts? Too little? Not needed at all?

/ Hay delivery and tips #2  
When I go to a store and buy furniture, appliances or what ever that needs to be delivered, the cost is included or cost for the delivery and/or install. Folks come out and deliver/install and leave, no tip

They have priced delivery and stacking into the cost as well. [/QUOTE

The folks on the truck are being paid for delivery and stacking. You could tip but unless they do something other then just what was asked for when buying, I don't see tipping

/ Hay delivery and tips #3  
I have never known anyone to tip for hay delivery. I'd say it isn't necessary, but there's nothing wrong with it. They are probably not getting rich for their hard work, and I bet they'd appreciate it.

/ Hay delivery and tips #4  
For me tipping comes from doing a great job. AND its insurance for the next time they come and maybe the weather is not so great. What's your facility like ? Upstairs mow, have an elevator, good lighting, dusty, weak floor ? It can all add up. Sure, they are paid, probably minimum wage, etc. What would it take to have to go and get it yourself. Do you want them to bring the best hay to you or maybe take it to another place instead and bring you the questionable stuff ?

That's why I don't deliver anymore. Didn't plow the driveway, there was supposed to be somebody there to help, no elevator or broken, trashy barn, bad check, too far to drive, they question the price. Even had an owner say my hay was bad even though the bales had sisal ties. I use orange plastic.

"Horse People" is a commonly used phrase to stereotype the situational activities of dealing hay. Improve the relationship by tipping if deserved. You will sleep better, too.

/ Hay delivery and tips
For me tipping comes from doing a great job. AND its insurance for the next time they come and maybe the weather is not so great. What's your facility like ? Upstairs mow, have an elevator, good lighting, dusty, weak floor ? It can all add up. Sure, they are paid, probably minimum wage, etc. What would it take to have to go and get it yourself. Do you want them to bring the best hay to you or maybe take it to another place instead and bring you the questionable stuff ?

That's why I don't deliver anymore. Didn't plow the driveway, there was supposed to be somebody there to help, no elevator or broken, trashy barn, bad check, too far to drive, they question the price. Even had an owner say my hay was bad even though the bales had sisal ties. I use orange plastic.

"Horse People" is a commonly used phrase to stereotype the situational activities of dealing hay. Improve the relationship by tipping if deserved. You will sleep better, too.

I am thinking of the next delivery and make sure I get it done. The price negotiated was the "home owner does not need to lift a finger" price because I have a degenerative disk and moving anything more than 10 in a day will put me into spasm. We would have had to hire help on this end to unload and stack. The price quoted by the seller was reasonable so one stop shopping to get it done.

Unloading will be to ground level not up in a mow. If there is snow it will be plowed out and ready for them when they get here.

I am not a "horse people". I hear the stories, and have met many of them so I get it.... my wife runs the horse business (I have an off farm job) and we take the tact of doing it a different (hopefully better) way.

Of course I want the good stuff. The check will be good, they said they don't want that quantity of cash or I would pay in Benjamins.

In any event I would feel better tipping them, especially considering we need 3 deliveries from them and I expect the 2nd and 3rd it will just be the wife home so I do not have to take a day off.

/ Hay delivery and tips #6  
I have never known anyone to tip for hay delivery. I'd say it isn't necessary, but there's nothing wrong with it. They are probably not getting rich for their hard work, and I bet they'd appreciate it.

We've had a lot of hay delivered this year for the horses. I always help unload and stack. While I haven't tipped the farmers, I *have* tipped one of their sons who came to help. He was about 10 years old, but worked *HARD* unloading and stacking that hay. He made my job easier. When we were all done, (and with the consent of his father, the farmer), I tipped the young man $25. He had helped them bale and load it, then also helped unload and stack it. He worked harder than most men I know. He earned every penny of it. He didn't expect the tip, but he sure did appreciate it. I'm hoping its a simple encouragement / reinforcement to him that sometimes hard work can pay off.

/ Hay delivery and tips #7  
If they do a good job and you want to give them some lunch or coffee money I’d say go for it. $10-$20 bucks is a nice gesture. No issue tipping and no issue not tipping.

/ Hay delivery and tips #8  
I have given something to guys that have done work or deliveries for me. A "Here let me buy your lunch" and giving them $20 isn't a bad thing, especially if they are going to do the next delivery.

I too have gotten to the point where the wife and I can't unload 100 bales and stack it in the barn. Got tired of depending on others to help. I bought a NH Workmaster 75 and a WR Long hay grapple to unload the trailer and stack the bales in the barn. Unloaded my first 100 bales this last weekend. Now I kick myself for waiting this long.

/ Hay delivery and tips #9  
I have given something to guys that have done work or deliveries for me. A "Here let me buy your lunch" and giving them $20 isn't a bad thing, especially if they are going to do the next delivery.

I too have gotten to the point where the wife and I can't unload 100 bales and stack it in the barn. Got tired of depending on others to help. I bought a NH Workmaster 75 and a WR Long hay grapple to unload the trailer and stack the bales in the barn. Unloaded my first 100 bales this last weekend. Now I kick myself for waiting this long.
I never considered one of those grapples just for unloading and stacking hay. I considered it more of a hay farmer's tool. How high are you stacking? Do you have an issue with arranging the bales so the stack is solid?

I'm still unloading and stacking hay by myself, 150 bales at a time. I have said that will be the first job to go as I get older. I used to stop a couple of times, because I felt like a break. Now I stop a variable number of times, because I need to sit down before I fall down.

/ Hay delivery and tips #10  
I try to always tip anyone who delivers anything more complicated than FedEx or UPS (I get them once a year at Christmas, with the mailman). Especially if they're locally based. People remember things like that, it might make a difference some future day when they have to decide which delivery they have time for that day. My standard tip is $20, it always seems appreciated.

I think it's a regional thing, my understanding is in some parts of the country tipping the mailman is frowned upon, here it's expected.