Hay sled demand?

/ Hay sled demand?
Then use square bales. I mean, if you can't load them in the field, can't handle them at home...what's the point?
I use the 3 point to move heavy bales at home. I can't load a trailer with the 3 point.

The sled is much less expensive than a wagon, is easier to load, does less damage to the field, is safer (I had assumed, since it can't roll away on it's own and the bales are closer to the ground, but Torvy seems to disagree).

/ Hay sled demand? #12  
I'm confused how a sled (skids laying on the ground) is less stable than a wagon. That wagon in your picture is huge. Around here we mostly use smaller wooden bed wagons for squares and 5th wheel trailers for rounds. I'm using rounds, but not taking them on the road (just moving them across the field to the barn). In addition, what's dangerous about having kids design and manufacture a sled? There aren't any bales in the metal shop.

A bale is large. The center of gravity is out there. I assume that a "2515" is TYM 2515. A 2115 will not lift a 5x6 bale. My tractor is 2,700 + 1,000 bs FEL + 800 lbs filled tires and it is not stable with bales in FEL; I'd rather roll them onto the sled or use the forks on the 3 point. I can't load a wagon with the 3 point.
Yeah, I can see the usefulness of a hay sled if you don't have a FEL, or the FEL can't lift the bale. And it doesn't have tires to go flat!
I would add a rigid tongue to it so it doesn't slide into the back of the tires down a hill, or if you jam on the brakes.
I like your design with old TV towers, seems like a perfect use for them.

/ Hay sled demand? #13  
I use the 3 point to move heavy bales at home. I can't load a trailer with the 3 point.

The sled is much less expensive than a wagon, is easier to load, does less damage to the field, is safer (I had assumed, since it can't roll away on it's own and the bales are closer to the ground, but Torvy seems to disagree).

I give it the Hay Dude (y)
It make transitioning (no not THAT kind of transitioning) into RB’s cheaper.
I guess my only doubting-Thomas thought is, once you get them on the sled and back to the barn, without a loader, you can’t stack them more than 1-layer in the barn, but if that’s not needed, then it doesn’t matter.

Look, some guys are farming with beer/hobby money and if it’s cheap and works, I say “why not?”

/ Hay sled demand? #14  
I'm confused how a sled (skids laying on the ground) is less stable than a wagon. That wagon in your picture is huge. Around here we mostly use smaller wooden bed wagons for squares and 5th wheel trailers for rounds. I'm using rounds, but not taking them on the road (just moving them across the field to the barn). In addition, what's dangerous about having kids design and manufacture a sled? There aren't any bales in the metal shop.

A bale is large. The center of gravity is out there. I assume that a "2515" is TYM 2515. A 2115 will not lift a 5x6 bale. My tractor is 2,700 + 1,000 bs FEL + 800 lbs filled tires and it is not stable with bales in FEL; I'd rather roll them onto the sled or use the forks on the 3 point. I can't load a wagon with the 3 point.
Physics, mainly friction and when you overcome it, with a sled vs wheels would be the main concern. Ever jerk on a log or something and doesn’t seem to move then all the sudden it gives and it’s no problem to pull? That is gonna be the issue. Which a wheeler wagon you have pretty significant certainty of what the forces involved are vs a skid on dirt…or gravel…or snow/ice…or heavy…or light…or…

/ Hay sled demand? #15  
People are going to farm with what they've got, or what is available to them on the local market; if this makes it a little easier and safer in it's own way, awesome. Sure, it brings about it's own set of issues, but that's everything in life. You solve them as they come along; as for the kids, doesn't it seem they're looking to build the sled, not to be the ones operating it?

That's definitely a cool project, and I'm sure you and the students will benefit from it in the end.

/ Hay sled demand? #16  
Your engineering partners probably have access to CAD with a stress evaluation package. Tell them to see if the runners are strong enough when you pull it thru a dip where it's only supported at each end. As I understand it, that's how long ships can fail in a storm- bow and stern each supported by a wave crest; middle of the ship sags.

/ Hay sled demand? #17  
I found out - in a most serious way - a small tractor is not equipped to do a large job. A farm wagon - heavily loaded with pine trees - does well being pulled on flat ground. It's a real nightmare - almost becoming lethal - when you have to pull it down slope. It happened to me - once. It was almost a fatal experience - to learn a valuable lesson.

/ Hay sled demand?
Your engineering partners probably have access to CAD with a stress evaluation package. Tell them to see if the runners are strong enough when you pull it thru a dip where it's only supported at each end. As I understand it, that's how long ships can fail in a storm- bow and stern each supported by a wave crest; middle of the ship sags.
Yah. As Junior year engineering students, they should be able to address these sorts of static and dynamic design issues. My tv tower based sled did not fail when only supported at the ends, but I didn't bounce it through a gully.

I have a couple of ideas of things for them to consider:
  • Who is the customer? (small hobby farmers)
  • What size tractor should it be designed for? (< 40 hp with a lightweight FEL, I'm imaging an 8n or at least bigger than a sub-compact.)
  • How long is it?
  • Does it need "skis"? How big are they?
  • Would a train of flat bottom sleds do less field damage (I'm imagining 3 car hoods chained together)?
  • Is one long sled better than two linked sleds?
  • How can the attachment work so that the operator doesn't need to get off the tractor?
  • What materials should be used?
  • What fabrication methods? (weld, bolt, baling wire?)
  • longitudinal or transverse loading?
  • What about adding wheels at the rear end for use on the road?
  • Consider the effects of stiction. (I haven't had any trouble with my 30 hp 3,000 lbs tractor and ton of hay, but beyond that is untested.)
Benchmark against The Hay Sled by Rio Industries LLC

/ Hay sled demand?
I do see that sled destroying a lot of alfalfa plants however.
This is one of my concerns. I'll report back with pictures after my next few uses.

The first time I used it, it was less destructive than the tractor tires. It pushed the plants down, but did not tear them up and they stood up quicker where only the sled was than where the tractor tires were (it was hard to measure, since for most of the trip the sled followed the tractor tires). I assume it's related to ground pressure. The ground pressure for a sled is a lot less than the tractor, even less than the ground pressure of a bale. One test is not conclusive though.