HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue?

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #1  

Drewmon

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS 4140HC
Hi guys,
I've had the 4140 for about 2 years now but never had the need to use the high gear (3rd) on my HST unit. I went to go help a friend about 1/2 mile away and got out on the open road (flat), put the tractor into high gear (for transport mode) and tried to drive it. It would barely go anywhere, RPM's were about 2300-2400 but it would just barely get going and then once "up to speed" which wasn't what I expected if there was any small incline (maybe 4-5 degrees) the unit would slow down to a stop. The hydro-static sounds awful and whines the entire time, even when moving along. In mid gear (2nd) it operates fine most of the time, but sometimes it whines and has minimal power to move forward. Anyone have an issue like this? the mid gear (2nd) has done this since new.

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #2  
What’s your foot hard down on the pedal when it slowed going up the hill?

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #3  
Mine is not a HST, its the shuttle, but I live up in the mountains. There is no flat ground. When i transport down the road, I am in high gear, but need to downshift going up hills. I keep my range in 4 and work the gears as if driving a car or truck with a manual. Going down hill is fun, and fast. Going up, slow, like a semi truck. I typically need to downshift into 4-2 or even 4-1 depending on the hill. But I never come to a stop.

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue?
What’s your foot hard down on the pedal when it slowed going up the hill?

It was. I backed off when the whining seemed too much.

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #5  
Normal.

The pedal resistance is more and it takes a while to get going. Have to back off going up hills or it will bog engine down. Good for flat ground speed, but not enough power for hills. My 3135 seems underpowered at times and you have the larger frame size with cab but only only 5hp more.

I have loaded tires and a heavy blower on the back right now which doesn't help (+1500lbs). It's a bit more lively in high range when i detach the implements.

Seems normal to me.

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #6  
Sounds normal.
High gear is only for low load traveling.
Low load means no hills, no trailers, no soft ground.

Travelling on the tractor can be painfully slow.

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #7  
Was your foot hard down on the pedal when it slowed going up the hill?

It was. I backed off when the whining seemed too much.

What 3Lfarms is getting at is that one doesn't operate the hydro pedal the same way as a gas pedal in a car or truck. With a car or truck gas pedal, when one approaches a hill and vehicle slows down, we mash the pedal more to the floor. This opposite of using a hydro pedal.

Yes, give the tractor more "hand throttle" engine rpms, but think of the hydro pedal as more like a gear selector. When you start running out of power your have to let up on the pedal (like shifting to a lower gear).
Conversely, when a lot of torque isn't needed for pulling something or going up a hill, that power can be used for speed, obtained by mashing pedal to the floor (like shifting to a high gear).

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #8  
as a test try using high at lower RPM and see if it has more power.

I have noticed with my little xj HST high gear has more power @ 1500 RPM then @ 2500 RPM. At higher RPM it seems to goes into relief faster. Maybe this is why some HST tractors have throttle linked forward and reverse peddles?

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #9  
Hi guys,
I've had the 4140 for about 2 years now but never had the need to use the high gear (3rd) on my HST unit. I went to go help a friend about 1/2 mile away and got out on the open road (flat), put the tractor into high gear (for transport mode) and tried to drive it. It would barely go anywhere, RPM's were about 2300-2400 but it would just barely get going and then once "up to speed" which wasn't what I expected if there was any small incline (maybe 4-5 degrees) the unit would slow down to a stop. The hydro-static sounds awful and whines the entire time, even when moving along. In mid gear (2nd) it operates fine most of the time, but sometimes it whines and has minimal power to move forward. Anyone have an issue like this? the mid gear (2nd) has done this since new.

Power loss going uphill can be expected. However, if it is whining. I would recommend checking your fluids and making sure they're topped off and you're not running low.

/ HC4140 HST 3rd (high) gear issue Anyone have the same issue? #10  
I'll add a related HST event that _really_ surprised me when it happened transporting my XJ2025h to a neighbors house using high gear.

The neighbor has an extremely steep driveway and when I started down the driveway towards his house, the tractor started to speed up even though the throttle was set low... if not idle, then slightly below idle.

When I put my foot on the brake to start slowing down, the HST apparently was disengaged so the speed suddenly increased dramatically until I reacted and applied a significant amount of brake.

Had I reacted any slower, I think it's possible that I would have lost control of the tractor.

Beverly Howard