HD TV-Love it, hate it!

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
So we were satisfied with our old TV arrangement, taping most of our favorite shows so we could fast forward thru the ads. Then, here comes the change to HD.

So we got a converter box. Now we have 2 remotes to fiddle with, 3 when you count the one for the VCR and just having the converter box plugged in gives a buzzing feedback if I want to listen to AM radio in another room. But we had planned all along to move that set to the bedroom and get a real HD TV--of course, that didn't help the radio.

We got a good deal on a 47" LG with a blu-ray player for just $1,200. That was only the beginning. Then $400 for a cabinet to put the tv on and the blu-ray player in. But the cabinet blocks access to our built in vacuum valve hookup in the wall and looking around the living room, there's no good other place to put it. The vacuum outfit wants $380 to install another valve in a new location. And of course, the VCR won't record HD shows, so now we need a DVD recorder, and since we aren't on cable or satellite, we need one with a tuner. It looks like there are only a couple made with tuners, and I have always had problems with Panasonic products, which is the only brand anyone carries around here, but I can get a Toshiba with a tuner that also plays VHS tapes, and I won't be taping after Feb. 17--$269.

So, $1,200 + 400 + 380 + 269=$2,259. So we can watch "free tv".

Does it ever end?

Who thought up this change to HD, anyway? Oh, yeah, it was put thru by politicians. That explains a lot.

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #2  
So we were satisfied with our old TV arrangement, taping most of our favorite shows so we could fast forward thru the ads. Then, here comes the change to HD.

...Who thought up this change to HD, anyway? Oh, yeah, it was put thru by politicians. That explains a lot.

I thought the change was to a digital signal. HD ( High Definition) is an extra that you can pay for, but isn't required or even available in some places. We're on satellite, so everything is already digital for us. Only TV's that got their signal over the air from an antenna that are not capable of reading a digital signal are affected.

Eddie

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #3  
Next month is the HD cutover for OTA stations, unless the Govt screws it up like their talking about doing.
HD is great where I live, best thing that ever happened to tv since color. Best Buy has a great HD converter box, Insignia brand I think. Put the Converter box in front of the VCR, then you still can record, just gotta tune the converter instead. I have a VCR/DVD recorder with an HD tuner, so it acts like a converter and can record the HD programs onto DVD. I also just got an HD USB stick for my laptop, I can now also record HD OTA on my computer, and yes it comes with it's own remote. there are many options out there.

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #4  
Get a HD DVR, could not live without mine. Makes it easy to zap commercials!!

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #5  
As Eddie says, the FCC only requires a digital signal be transmitted, HD can be provided if the local stations want to, they don't have to.

For a good device, go see a Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK, DVD/VHS and includes a digital OTA tuner. $280
No new tv is needed, but I know you wanted one anyway, what guys doesn't? :D

I can't get any OTA tv signal where I live, so I just use Netflix and Bit torrent, better than any service out there.

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #6  
For a DVD recorder with tuner I'd recommend a Philips DVDR3576H DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc and Built-In Tuner. It has a very good tuner, better then the Insignia converter boxes on our 2 other TVs and it has a 160GB disk that allows you to record 100+ hours worth of shows without using a DVD disk. It's a great feature for those weekly shows we record. We got ours through walmart.com but they don't have them anymore so we got a second one for my parents through Amazon.com. Cost is around $280. The only thing I don't like about it is the remote. I don't think the buttons are arranged very well and they're quite small. Also you can't control the TV volume and TV on/off from the Philips remote like you can with the Insignia remote. Other then that we're very happy with it. It's very easy to use.

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #7  
Similar to Pilot, I got the converter box. The signal was weak on 3/4 of the stations. Great! Bought a new antenna for $250. Very little change. But the new antenna is too large for the rotator. Found that out after buying a replacement $100. Bought a new amplifier for the antenna. $100. Little better. Raised the antenna on the roof to get over some trees that don't affect the analog signal. Little better.

So add up the costs and free tv isn't free. And I still don't get the low number channels on digital signal but I can see them plain as day on the other TV without the converter box. Grrrr.

Now, I do like the stations that do come in. Clear as a bell.

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #8  
JohnB your experience sounds exactly like mine. With the proper antenna, amplifier, and line of site I think you'll be able to pull in as many and maybe more channels than analog. However if your in a low area with lots of obstuctions, or surrounded by hills like me there are going to be a lot of people who are disapointed that thier channel choices are much more limited. Sounds like directv and cable may hit the jackpot.

Edit: JB - are you using a UHF/VHF combo antenna. Some lower channels are located on VHF frequencies while most higher numbers are UHF. Also here's a good link to show what you should be able to get. You can also edit the antenna for height to see the varied results. Also shows station direction. I was able to pull in a few more channels than what the site showed when I added the amplifier.

AntennaWeb

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #9  
Can you use netflix and bit torrent for television? If so, how do you do that?

Millions of otherwise good TV's are going to the landfill at time when not everybody has the $ to replace them.

/ HD TV-Love it, hate it! #10  
Maybe this is an extension of the original thread, but since some of you are apparently much more conversant than I about this stuff....

I have DirecTV and the HD recorder from them. Is it possible (perhaps I should say easy, since all is possible) to move recorded programs to a computer, or to DVDs from that box? I don't see this as pirating content if it is for my use, since I already legally recorded it.

BTW, even if, like me, you spring for the extra cost HD option with DirecTv, it is almost amazing what you don't get without even more extra cost.

Chuck