He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco.

/ He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco. #11  
Carbons, white out, corasible bond paper that you could erase- did a lot of typing in college. The IBIDs and footnotes were the killer!- Olivetti, Royal, Smith Corona.
My first typewriter for school was a small thing purchased with S&H green stamps! It got me through!

Yep, for some things you had to use carbon paper between layers of your regular paper, but I also used to have to use as many as 7 "onionskins".

/ He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco. #12  
I still see old typewriters in the thrift stores I shop in. But most of them are not in very good shape. I think Margie had a portable one. It would be in one of our sheds, I guess.

/ He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco. #13  
He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco.

Boy, if that's the case, I should make it to 106 at least!

/ He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco.
   / He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco. #15  
Yep, for some things you had to use carbon paper between layers of your regular paper, but I also used to have to use as many as 7 "onionskins".

You need a light touch- the paper was so flimsy and light to handle. I used to get frustrated trying to hold it steady and feed it into the carriage when I was making a copy. Xerox was a real miracle machine back then.

7 onionskins - that is saying something!:thumbsup:

/ He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco. #17  
Dave, even as old as I am, I don't recognize any of those typewriters.:laughing: But it made me think of the first adding machine I ever used in 1956; a Burroughs. I'm not sure this picture is the same model we used but it appears to be.

Last edited:
   / He owed his longevity to cheap Scotch and and strong tobacco. #18  
Dave, even as old as I am, I don't recognize any of those typewriters.:laughing: But it made think of the first adding machine I ever used in 1956; a Burroughs. I'm not sure this picture is the same model we used but it appears to be.

Back in 1954 - 57, my mother worked at Burroughs, it was located in Plymouth, Michigan. They evolved into a company that made computers, and eventually, scanners for grocery stores. When she worked there, it was making thousands of small parts for different machines.

Dave, even as old as I am, I don't recognize any of those typewriters.:laughing: But it made think of the first adding machine I ever used in 1956; a Burroughs. I'm not sure this picture is the same model we used but it appears to be.

That collection shows quite a range of designs, many I'd never seen before. I like the Blickensderfer 6 in aluminum.

Aside from running the farm, an uncle of mine used to do the taxes for many people around the village. He had an adding machine of a similar vintage to your Burroughs. It was passed along to a family member when his estate was settled, AFAIK it is still working.

I wonder how many laptop computers will be working at 100+ years old ?

Rgds, D.

Back in 1954 - 57, my mother worked at Burroughs, it was located in Plymouth, Michigan. They evolved into a company that made computers, and eventually, scanners for grocery stores. When she worked there, it was making thousands of small parts for different machines.

There was a bad recession around that time, but you raise a good point - this amazing private collection of typewriters represents many thousands of local jobs. A different time indeed.

Rgds, D.