Headlight bulbs

/ Headlight bulbs #41  
Jeez - I just replaced 6 4ft fluorescent tube lights in my shop because they never would work well in cold temps. I replaced them with 6 of these LED cobb lights. They put out a great amount of light but now I'm concerned because they are 5000K!

IMG_3535.JPG

/ Headlight bulbs #42  
Jeez - I just replace 6 4ft fluorescent tube lights in my shop because they never would work well in cold temps. I replaced them with 6 of these LED cobb lights. They put out a great amount of light but now I'm concerned because they are 5000K!

View attachment 636408

I have the same lights. Just don't stare at them :)

/ Headlight bulbs #43  
I have the same lights. Just don't stare at them :)

Avoid looking at them is part of keeping your eyesight, also the refractory light will have harmful effects too when looking at them.

led-arc-cob-before-after-e1479480051839.png

How to protect your eyes from the harm of blue LED light - UW–⁠Madison Information Technology

When LED street lights came out there was a huge backlash due to the ill health effects on the eyes.
Are LED Lights Bad for Your Health? > ENGINEERING.com

And the US Department of Energy reported the facts of the ill health in these LED street lights here.
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2018/04/f50/Street Lighting and Blue Light FAQs.pdf

The report talks about the ill health from the blue light spectrum we see as white light with our eyes. The short-wave-length at the blue light spectrum range is damaging. They believe 4000K and higher.

BUT, in the DOE report, there is an improvement mentioned on the last page of 18.

How many LED lights with CCT of 5000 K or higher have been installed outdoors?

Although the actual number is unknown, it´s believed that relatively few such LED lights have been installed outdoors in the U.S. Thereï½´s no known documented inventory of installed outdoor LED products categorized by CCT, and estimates differ by application. 23 There were a few smaller-scale pilot studies and other installations involving products with CCT ≥ 5000 K in the first few years of LED outdoor lighting installations, but the street and roadway lighting community quickly converged around a warmer 4000 K as soon as that CCT became widely affordable (around 2010). From then to 2016, the vast majority of municipalities and utilities (including, for example, the cities of Seattle, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Boston, New York, New Orleans, Detroit, Kansas City, and many others) favored 4000 K CCT products for LED street and roadway lighting applications. More recently, with continued improvement of the technology, a number of cities are now considering 3000 K and, in some cases, even lower CCTs. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Why did early LEDs have CCTs of 5000 K or more?

High-CCT white LEDs were more available, more efficient, and less expensive than lower-CCT versions during the technologyï½´s early years. In PC-LEDs, narrow-band short-wavelength light produced by semiconductor material is passed through phosphors that converts most of it into other colors; the resulting light spectrum appears white to the human eye. Efficiency losses occur during the color conversion, and these losses are greater when creating warmer CCTs, translating into lower luminousefficacies (lumen output per watt of electrical input power). Because the early-production white LEDs were relatively low in efficacy, manufacturers emphasized sales of more-efficacious higher-CCT products. Since then, however, LED technology has advanced to the point where even warmer-CCT products are highly efficacious, especially when compared to traditional lamp technologies. However, even today a higher-CCT LED continues to be more efficacious than a similar LED at lower CCT, all other things (e.g., color quality and color rendering ability) being equal.

Again, I'm not an LED basher. Just want people to be informed on the types of LEDs out there and to choose the SAFE LEDs for their health sake, especially if you plan on being illuminated with them for hours at a time.

So, with our 25W tractor lights, we have the options of incandescent (glow worm effect :confused2: ), halogen (bright and normal for the eyes ;) ) and LED (3000K or less is safe and best :cool: ).

Attachments

• led-arc-cob-before-after-e1479480051839.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 64
   / Headlight bulbs #44  
Avoid looking at them is part of keeping your eyesight, also the refractory light will have harmful effects too when looking at them.

How to protect your eyes from the harm of blue LED light - UW–⁠Madison Information Technology

When LED street lights came out there was a huge backlash due to the ill health effects on the eyes.
Are LED Lights Bad for Your Health? > ENGINEERING.com

And the US Department of Energy reported the facts of the ill health in these LED street lights here.
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2018/04/f50/Street Lighting and Blue Light FAQs.pdf

The report talks about the ill health from the blue light spectrum we see as white light with our eyes. The short-wave-length at the blue light spectrum range is damaging. They believe 4000K and higher.

Are we reading the same report?
From the report (pages 7 and 8)

"Is short-wavelength light harmful to the eyes?
This question refers to the risk of physical damage to the retina as a result of direct exposure to short-wavelength light, and is separate from the circadian-disruption concerns that are the main focus of the AMA guidelines. In typical situations using common electric light sources, there is no danger to the eyes from short wavelengths, regardless of the source type. The DOE Fact Sheet Optical Safety of LEDs makes this clear and provides a detailed description of retinal hazards posed by lighting in more specialized situations, along with references to international standards on the safe use of lighting products."

From the referenced "DOE Fact Sheet Optical Safety of LEDs"
"The safety of LED lighting with regard to human health has occasionally been the subject of scrutiny.
One such concern is photoretinitis—photochemical damage to the retina—which can result from too much exposure to violet and blue light. This is known as blue light hazard. The risk of blue light hazard is sometimes associated with LEDs, even though LEDs that emit white light do not contain significantly more blue than any other source at the same color temperature. According to current international standards, no light source that emits white light and is used in general lighting applications is considered hazardous to the retina for healthy adults. That said, the optical safety of specialty lamps or colored sources must be considered on a case-by-case basis, and light sources used around susceptible populations, such as infants or adults with certain types of eye disease, require additional evaluation."

In other words, you are not going to injure your eyes by using pretty much any normal commercially-available LED light (exceptions being something like a super bright flashlight that you're looking directly into when it turns on but not something that's going to be an issue while driving a tractor).

Aaron Z

/ Headlight bulbs #45  
Are we reading the same report?
From the report (pages 7 and 8)

"Is short-wavelength light harmful to the eyes?
This question refers to the risk of physical damage to the retina as a result of direct exposure to short-wavelength light, and is separate from the circadian-disruption concerns that are the main focus of the AMA guidelines. In typical situations using common electric light sources, there is no danger to the eyes from short wavelengths, regardless of the source type. The DOE Fact Sheet Optical Safety of LEDs makes this clear and provides a detailed description of retinal hazards posed by lighting in more specialized situations, along with references to international standards on the safe use of lighting products."

From the referenced "DOE Fact Sheet Optical Safety of LEDs"
"The safety of LED lighting with regard to human health has occasionally been the subject of scrutiny.
One such concern is photoretinitis用hotochemical damage to the retina謡hich can result from too much exposure to violet and blue light. This is known as blue light hazard. The risk of blue light hazard is sometimes associated with LEDs, even though LEDs that emit white light do not contain significantly more blue than any other source at the same color temperature. According to current international standards, no light source that emits white light and is used in general lighting applications is considered hazardous to the retina for healthy adults. That said, the optical safety of specialty lamps or colored sources must be considered on a case-by-case basis, and light sources used around susceptible populations, such as infants or adults with certain types of eye disease, require additional evaluation."

In other words, you are not going to injure your eyes by using pretty much any normal commercially-available LED light (exceptions being something like a super bright flashlight that you're looking directly into when it turns on but not something that's going to be an issue while driving a tractor).

Aaron Z

Aaron,

Yes, and the above you had snipped stated;

"LEDs, even though LEDs that emit white light do not contain significantly more blue than any other source at the same color temperature."

White light is at one end of the spectrum. That's what the industry calls the COOL lighting. If you know how to read the article and sense the wording, you'll understand they had basically ignored the WARM part of the spectrum. SURE, all of the WHITE will have a relative amount of BLUE in the COOL light part of the spectrum. That's their discussion part of the article.

For WARM lighting, the blue is soooo small it almost doesn't even register. If the article would have compared COOL to WARM, then the understanding would have been crystal clear.

In the spectrum chart below, the incandescent, halogen and the WARM LED, all tend to favor the safer part of the light spectrum.

led-lighting-2.jpg

wavelength.jpg

Attachments

• Spectrum Light.jpg
    Spectrum Light.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 58
  • led-lighting-2.jpg
    led-lighting-2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 56
   / Headlight bulbs #46  
Aaron,

Yes, and the above you had snipped stated;

"LEDs, even though LEDs that emit white light do not contain significantly more blue than any other source at the same color temperature."

White light is at one end of the spectrum. That's what the industry calls the COOL lighting. If you know how to read the article and sense the wording, you'll understand they had basically ignored the WARM part of the spectrum. SURE, all of the WHITE will have a relative amount of BLUE in the COOL light part of the spectrum. That's their discussion part of the article.

For WARM lighting, the blue is soooo small it almost doesn't even register. If the article would have compared COOL to WARM, then the understanding would have been crystal clear.

In the spectrum chart below, the incandescent, halogen and the WARM LED, all tend to favor the safer part of the light spectrum.

led-lighting-2.jpg

wavelength.jpg
Again I quote "According to current international standards, no light source that emits white light and is used in general lighting applications is considered hazardous to the retina for healthy adults."
The danger that the AMA is worried about with 5000k lights is messing with your circadian rhythms due to using "bluer" lights (for example 5000k lights) around bedtime which can fool the body into not producing melatonin.
There is no danger to your retinas from using any of the commonly available lights in any color temperature.
They also addressed light charts like the one you show which use a percentage of light emitted rather than the intensity of light, they show that that can show a misleading spike in the blue color temperature section of the chart.

Aaron Z

/ Headlight bulbs #47  
Does anyone know the top speed for a Yanmar Tractor?. Asking for a friend who wants to make sure he doesn't need to upgrade his headlights...................

I thought I had it YM2000 8th gear 14.90 Km/h or 9.25mph........

/ Headlight bulbs #48  
Does anyone know the top speed for a Yanmar Tractor?. Asking for a friend who wants to make sure he doesn't need to upgrade his headlights...................

It would vary from one machine to the next. What model is he looking into?

/ Headlight bulbs #49  
Again I quote "According to current international standards, no light source that emits white light and is used in general lighting applications is considered hazardous to the retina for healthy adults."
The danger that the AMA is worried about with 5000k lights is messing with your circadian rhythms due to using "bluer" lights (for example 5000k lights) around bedtime which can fool the body into not producing melatonin.
There is no danger to your retinas from using any of the commonly available lights in any color temperature.
They also addressed light charts like the one you show which use a percentage of light emitted rather than the intensity of light, they show that that can show a misleading spike in the blue color temperature section of the chart.

Aaron Z

So, the studies by the French Gov and the 2012 Spain studies are not important then about LEDs emmitting blue light and the retina damage?

- A 2012 Spanish study found that LED radiation can cause irreversible damage to the retina.
- A 2019 report from the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (ANSES) warned of the “phototoxic effects” of blue light exposure, including an increased risk for age-related macular degeneration.

The AMA also released this about the blue lights too. Guess they know about the retina dangers with blue emitted light as well.
American Medical Association warns of health and safety problems from 'white' LED streetlights
"The new “white” LED street lighting which is rapidly being retrofitted in cities throughout the country has two problems, according to the AMA. The first is discomfort and glare. Because LED light is so concentrated and has high blue content, it can cause severe glare, resulting in pupillary constriction in the eyes. Blue light scatters more in the human eye than the longer wavelengths of yellow and red, and sufficient levels can damage the retina. This can cause problems seeing clearly for safe driving or walking at night."

/ Headlight bulbs #50  
It would vary from one machine to the next. What model is he looking into?

Haha, I guess he didn't catch that.