Hear a story

/ Hear a story #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I heard of a guy who knows a guy who took a 40' shipping container, buried it halfway in the ground, cut off the top, sprayed a poly film coating inside and uses it for a swimming pool. Has less than $4k in it.
It got me to thinking....
Why not flip it over and cut out the floor. Seams like it would be easier.
What would be the source for the poly film?
What about using it to hold fish?
All thoughts are welcome.
My thinking is not so good anymore.

/ Hear a story #2  
My list of why nots -

Never thought of it
Hard to flip container over
harder to remove heavy roof
Not as structurally strong.

/ Hear a story #4  
Must be the same guy that once buried a bunch of school buses to make some sort of underground bomb (survival) shelter.

What about leaching chemicals?

Containers may have rust, and would the coating stick to rusted areas or flaking paint?

Why not leave it at eight foot and put in a diving board?

/ Hear a story #5  
I've had 10 calls the last few weeks from people from
People wanting to buy our old dumpsters from the landfill for a mobile pool. Seems it happens every time it goes around face book. They tell me when a roll off gets a certain age we discard them in the article. Truth is we torch off the tops an send the frames to the Welding shop for a new body.

/ Hear a story #6  
One reason you don't cut off the bottom is because that is where the structural frame is. The sides and top are just corrugated metal with corner post tied to the bottom frame. If you cut the bottom, the whole thing would just fold in upon itself. Also if removing the top, you would need to put bracing in the sides to keep it from collapsing. Containers are all integrally supported. Other than cutting some windows, doorways etc in the sides, you cant cut any of the panels without loosing the structural integrity.