Hearing Aid!

/ Hearing Aid! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Well, I can't hear out of my right ear anymore. Been too many infections in that ear. usually 2-4 a year. The Eustachian tube never formed right (too small) and backs up when I have allergies or a cold. I try to keep that side "Popped open" and it will drain then. I saw an article a few years ago and the British call that "Glue Ear" when the tube gets glued shut and can't drain properly. Of course the right side is where the red head sits and I've had a good excuse all these years for not "Listening" to her. Sometimes when I do hear her, I say, "What dear, I couldn't understand you"....that throws her into a tizzy...lol :laughing: Warning, never attempt this at home boys and girls...it can be hazardous to your health. In my case, she sicks those dang chihuahuas on me. :eek: When I went to get tested/fitted, she told me not to come home if they won't give me a hearing aid. I pick it up in two weeks. We will see. I guess if she starts yapping some more, I can just say the battery went dead from all the yapping and I didn't hear her....:D Dang, I'm going to wind up being one of those dead guys that are on Dateline or 20/20 or something. :( I told her a couple of years ago that when I hear women chattering, all I hear is my chickens cackling on and on.....like they say, "and then the fight started". :laughing:

Any tips on using a hearing aid?

/ Hearing Aid! #2  
Well, I can't hear out of my right ear anymore. Been too many infections in that ear. usually 2-4 a year. The Eustachian tube never formed right (too small) and backs up when I have allergies or a cold. I try to keep that side "Popped open" and it will drain then. I saw an article a few years ago and the British call that "Glue Ear" when the tube gets glued shut and can't drain properly. Of course the right side is where the red head sits and I've had a good excuse all these years for not "Listening" to her. Sometimes when I do hear her, I say, "What dear, I couldn't understand you"....that throws her into a tizzy...lol :laughing: Warning, never attempt this at home boys and girls...it can be hazardous to your health. In my case, she sicks those dang chihuahuas on me. :eek: When I went to get tested/fitted, she told me not to come home if they won't give me a hearing aid. I pick it up in two weeks. We will see. I guess if she starts yapping some more, I can just say the battery went dead from all the yapping and I didn't hear her....:D Dang, I'm going to wind up being one of those dead guys that are on Dateline or 20/20 or something. :( I told her a couple of years ago that when I hear women chattering, all I hear is my chickens cackling on and on.....like they say, "and then the fight started". :laughing:

Any tips on using a hearing aid?

I too have a bad right ear don't hear much of anything from that side(wife's side). I bought one of these 2 years ago and it has helped me quite a bit it does amplify everything but I would think a hearing aid would also. This was recommend form a guy who wears both ear hearing aids to the tune of around 2500 ea. he lost one and bought this to use until he had a replacement he said if he knew how good these worked he would not have spent another 2500 on a replacement!!
Amazon.com: Cutting-Edge Empower Hearing Amplifier Gives You Clean Digital Amplified Sound. Nearly Invisible Behind Ear. Hear Conversations with Help of Advanced 12-Band Processing Aids in Hearing, Right Only: Health & Personal Care
Good Luck!!

/ Hearing Aid! #3  
I wear aids in both ears for a service connected hearing loss - VA supplies them and batteries for me. You have to remember that aids are really sophisticated hearing amplifiers at inflated prices. They will amplify sounds you want amplified but also those you don't. Some fancy aids (most aids actually) have circuitry that permits two or several choices for the way they work, filtering out more background noise, etc.

My most impressive hearing loss is blessedly in the higher frequencies so I can usually hear male voices pretty well, but female and children's voices are often, as you say, an indecipherable cackle - with or without my aids. I usually have difficulty with higher pitched voices on TV or radio shows missing sometimes half of the dialog. I guess what I'm saying is, you have to be patient with those around you (a bit) and explain clearly that you are sorry (even though there is nothing you can do about it and you did not cause it) but you have difficulty hearing them and missed what they said, "could you please repeat that" is what I say.

My wife is not as patient with my hearing loss as I might wish and often barks at me when she repeats what I didn't hear the first time. This is unfortunate and I call her on it when she acts as if I was simply not paying attention to what she was saying instead of the true fact that I'm hard of hearing.

Good luck my friend.

/ Hearing Aid! #4  
I have tried several (at least 4 or 5) of the non-prescribed hearing amplifiers. None have worked particularly well for me. The problem is my hearing loss does not fit the typical profile. If your hearing problems are only due to the formation of your ear, then they should work well for you. If, like most of us, age and exposure to loud noises have damaged the frequency response of your hearing, the only relief will be with a unit matched to your situation. I believe the manufacturers exaggerate the importance of matching the frequency response to justify the high prices, but it is important.

/ Hearing Aid! #5  
Has anyone tried the EARGO hearing aids. They sent me some dummies to show how comfortable they are (they are comfortable) but they are $1000 each which is still less than half of the name brand prescription type. They have a 4.8 (out of 5) rating on their website from users but who knows if that is accurate.

/ Hearing Aid! #6  
Been wearing hearing aids for three years. Bought them at Costco for $1600.......love them. Same units at my ear doctor would have cost $5000. You're right about some sounds......I need to turn them down when in truck with the wipers on.....otherwise it sounds like a washing machine.....also in most restaurants.....never knew how clanging dishes and silverware sounded. I can also now hear my wife better.......that's one of the downsides to hearing aids.

/ Hearing Aid! #7  
I've been using hearing aids since 1993; yep, 25 years. I guess the ones I have now are my fourth set.

Some fancy aids (most aids actually) have circuitry that permits two or several choices for the way they work, filtering out more background noise, etc.

My current Beltones have 4 programs, but I seldom use 2 of them.

My most impressive hearing loss is blessedly in the higher frequencies so I can usually hear male voices pretty well, but female and children's voices are often, as you say, an indecipherable cackle - with or without my aids. I usually have difficulty with higher pitched voices on TV or radio shows missing sometimes half of the dialog.

Yep, very difficult to understand small children, and I don't watch TV that isn't closed captioned.