Hearing Aids?

/ Hearing Aids? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Where did you buy your hearing aids?

What can you expect them to run for a pair?

Did you find they helped you?

After 17 years, wife is getting to fed up with me not hearing, and with my dad living with us, he's on her side.

I'm not completely deaf, but definately have a hearing loss since my late teens, early 20's, and I'm certain it's not getting better.

Thinking of Costco, but mother in law went to doctors office, ran her like 6k, but insurance covered 2.5k of that. Our insurance doesn't cover hearing aids, looked.

/ Hearing Aids? #2  
I've had so many accidents, concussions, guns, etc. I'm almost dead in right ear (one facing my wife as I drive ) and loss in left ear. I went to local medical center who specializes in hearing aids. After testing they ordered a custom set, $3,800, bluetooth adjustable. I tried them and wasn't that impressed. I had a $20 set in my pocket. Nurse checked them on equipment and said they were pretty good .
Any family member who got them never used them.
As long as I can get by I won't use them.
Wouldn't hurt to try them out.

/ Hearing Aids? #3  
My FIL just moved in with us last a couple of weeks ago. His hearing is horrible. Wife ordered him a pair from somewhere online and they appeared to work pretty good. Paid $200.00. 3 days later he has lost one of them and does not want to wear the other one. So we are back to yelling.

/ Hearing Aids? #4  
I went to an audiology lab and had my hearing tested after it became obvious than I couldn't understand others very well if at all. They determined I have both low frequency and high frequency loss, mid frequencies are fine. I now have hearing aids that help at both ends of the spectrum at a cost of around $4k. They do help - doesn't fix it completely, but I do understand others much better. They also have bluetooth and I can adjust the volume of each one independently and mine have been set up with 3 programs and I can select the one I want based on the environment. If I'm going to be around other people, I'll wear them otherwise I don't. Batteries last about 5 days.

P.S. The ear canal is different sizes so be sure to get ones that can accommodate your size or they won't be comfortable. A one size-fits-all won't be comfortable.

/ Hearing Aids? #5  
I have Phonak aids. I've been wearing aids for 40 years. From analog to digital and now bluetooth compatable. You can buy cheap aids if you just need volume. My loss is completely different in each ear so the aids are programmed to enhance my hearing based on the loss in the frequency range for each ear. I can't function without them if I'm around any other people. So yes, you can get hearing aids at a "bargain" but unless an audiologist does a sound booth hearing teat and the aids are matched to your frequency loss they really are just amplifiers. More simply put, if you pay less that $2K for aids they probably are just amplifiers.

/ Hearing Aids? #6  
More simply put, if you pay less that $2K for aids they probably are just amplifiers.
This. I don’t wear them but two in my family have hearing aids. One went the cheap ’as seen on TV‘ off the shelf route and the other went to a legit doctor. Sometimes spending 5 times more is the real bargain.

/ Hearing Aids? #7  
Tinnitus is the worst thing to me which I have also. That constant high pitched squeal.
Hearing loss to me isn't any big deal, except I ask my wife things like "Why did you just ask if an elephant borrowed my hammer?"
I never understood half the crap she was talking about when I had good hearing anyway.

/ Hearing Aids? #8  
My aids have a anti-tinnitus function. I suffer from tinnitus as well. Some days it is unbearable. The hearing aids do help with it.

/ Hearing Aids? #9  
I'm curious to your decision as my hearing as well as my wife's is going. After experiencing this, I now know why many older couples get terse with each other.... they have no idea what the other one is saying. Sometimes that's good, I suppose. :unsure:

/ Hearing Aids? #10  
I'm in the power business, more specifically I install, commission and repair voltage regulators on large generators. I must be able to communicate with power company customers and fuction in meetings. I could in no way do this without hearing aids. I use other hearing devices at home and in hotels to function on Webex and phone calls and to watch TV without blowing family out of the house. Aids are a game changer for me. I take them out when I'm talking to the CFO. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: