Hearing Protection

/ Hearing Protection #21  
I'm anothe fan of Work Tunes!
I just wish they had a better tuning device with real numbers on it.

tom

/ Hearing Protection #22  
MP3 player with powered headphones that shut out almost all outside noise. Someone should have talked to me about hearing loss back in the rock & roll 60's.

/ Hearing Protection #23  
I now wear the Browning muffs that I use for shooting for all my tractor and lawn mower ops. When I was not using them I noticed how other folks voices changed so much I had to remind them to speak more clearly.

These muffs also do a great job on my Barrett BMG suppression all by themselves. I first noticed the problem when running the tractor at a constant rpm for hours at a time (haying). Then I bought a real gun and the rest is history.

/ Hearing Protection #24  
Muffs at all times on the rider mower, muffs at all times with a chainsaw, muffs when running the splitter.

My mower muffs never leave it. I either have them on or they clip to the steering wheel when I shut it down. Another pair stays in the PU since it will always be where I am running the saws/splitter. I never have te excuse "they're in the house and it'll only be a few minutes anyhow". I won't even start the mower/splitter/saw before putting them on. I have already losst enough hearing.

At the level the kids play music, there is going to be a lot of deaf people in the future.

Harry K

/ Hearing Protection #25  
Yes, I usually do wear ear protection when on the tractor. One thing...hearing damage is cumulative. Small amounts add up over time and that's why it's important to have hearing protection even if it's not too loud. Eye protection also when bush hogging.

Selling hearing aids will be big business in the next decades as the boom box/head phone crowd gets older. Now would be a good time to invest in hearing aid company stocks... Say whattt?

/ Hearing Protection #26  
Redbug said:
Yes, I usually do wear ear protection when on the tractor. One thing...hearing damage is cumulative. Small amounts add up over time and that's why it's important to have hearing protection even if it's not too loud. Eye protection also when bush hogging.

Selling hearing aids will be big business in the next decades as the boom box/head phone crowd gets older. Now would be a good time to invest in hearing aid company stocks... Say whattt?

Speak up! I can't hear you ;)

Harry K

/ Hearing Protection #27  
Yup, "full protection" (ears, face, head) with the chainsaw. I have a cool set of muffs with a little microphone and a "cutoff" feature; when it hears a certain decibel level, it silences. Great for shooting; you can hear normal conversation with them on, but when you pull the trigger it goes silent. Doesn't work with the tractor / mower, though, as the noise level is right around the threshold, and it cuts on/off randomly.

I'd like to find a set of muffs that incorporates a headphone / microphone for a Motorola Talkabout two-way radio. Anybody know of one? I'm even thinking of getting a regular earbud headset, and tucking it under a regular muff, but that might be uncomfortable.

/ Hearing Protection #28  
This will sound cliche (since I am a Texan), but I have not considered muffs because I cannot wear them with my straw/felt cowboy hat. I have looked at the BOSE brand solid gold, platinium plated versions that slip over the ear and wrap behind the head, but I won't spend that many pesos. Any suggestions?

/ Hearing Protection
caylor said:
This will sound cliche (since I am a Texan), but I have not considered muffs because I cannot wear them with my straw/felt cowboy hat. I have looked at the BOSE brand solid gold, platinium plated versions that slip over the ear and wrap behind the head, but I won't spend that many pesos. Any suggestions?

Ear Plugs?

/ Hearing Protection #30  
Touche...I wear plugs now, or ear buds for my MP3 player. But I have to crank up the volume to hear the music that I negate all hearing protection.