Heat for the girls

/ Heat for the girls #1  

Dougeye

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra eMax 20s, Takeuchi TB210R
For years we've used one of those 250W red heat lamps to keep the chickens warm at night in the winter (mild winters here...). We use timers to regulate the lighting to 14 hours daily to optimize egg production, but I've often wondered if the red glow of the heat lamp interferes with that. I recently came across these no light ceramic heat emitting "lamps":

OMAYKEY 2 Pack 15W Ceramic Heat Bulbs, Upgraded Thicker Infrared Heat Emitter Brooder Lamp Bulb for Pet Coop Heater Reptile Chicken Lizard Turtle, 24hr Heat Source 1% Efficiency, Round Shape, Black: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Two of them would be 300W, a little more than with the single red one.

Anyone use these or know if they are any good?

/ Heat for the girls #2  
I would buy 2 and try 1 and also use a normal light bulb on your timer for the lighting routine. I also used a heated waterer that helped heat the coop.

/ Heat for the girls #3  
I don't worry about it. Unless you are selling the eggs it isn't a big deal. Eggs with cracked shells are dog food; otherwise it doesn't matter if they froze. You will note when cracking an egg open that the yolk doesn't spread as much but it really doesn't affect anything.