Heating Question part 2

/ Heating Question part 2 #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Another heating question. I will be building a new house in the spring and am trying to decide on a heating system. I need to decide between hot water baseboard, or forced hot air. I like the heat from hotwater better, but we also want AC, and that would be easier with hot air. Also cost is a big factor. This is our first new house, and we want to do it right. Thanks.

/ Heating Question part 2 #2  
If you go hot air, be sure to get an electronic air cleaner and a humidifier. If you also have hard water, get a water softener, particularly for the humidifier.

/ Heating Question part 2 #3  
We went with forced warm air for several reasons. 1 - easy to add a whole house air filtration system, (wife's allergic to dust, mold, etc)., 2 - A/C for the summer, 3 - added a whole house humidifier for the winter, 4 - I hate plumbing.... I've had baseboard hot water heat, it's fantastic, but we needed some addons that where much easier with forced warm air.

/ Heating Question part 2
<font color=red>1 - easy to add a whole house air filtration system, (wife's allergic to dust, mold, etc)., 2 - A/C for the summer, 3 - added a whole house humidifier for the winter</font color=red>

Yup, all of these are pointing us that way. Will be a bit of money, but should be easy to add after the fact.

/ Heating Question part 2 #5  
Paul,

You'll see my previous post which applies to this post also.

The cost of the system is a determining factor but when building new it is best to do it right from the start. In the grand scheme, spending a couple thousand more up front is very cost effective. The payback comes quickly in effeciency and system life. It is hard to retrofit a system after the house is built. Been there... done that.

Terry

Ya, I know that. I just hope this will be my last house, and want to put the most money into the stuff that is very costly to change later. Like If we go with hot air we will most likly hold on the AC till we know we need it. The duct work is there, just need to add the ac stuff when we have the need, and the money. Unless I am missing something. This is my first, so I have no idea.

/ Heating Question part 2 #7  
Paul,

Yes, it can get to be quite expensive - relative term ya know... /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

When we had our first system put in, I had bids done with 3 or 4 HVAC contractors. It is amazing to see the variances in their proposals. If you have the plans for your house, pick a couple reputable contractors, show them the plans and then have them make a proposal. Be sure to ask for a couple different options. Once you have all of the data, you can then make the decision on the best approach. You may be surprised at what you might be able to afford. Oh yes, be sure to ask about coming back and adding equipment.

Good luck,
Terry

/ Heating Question part 2 #8  
Paul,
You may have more choices than you might think. Ground source heat-pumps are becoming more popular now. I think what should dictate your space heating method should be the longterm least expensive fuel. My guess for your area would be oil. With a small boiler you can heat your house and domestic hot water. These small package boilers can use L.P. and natural gas too. Do any of your local utilities offer an energy audit/analysis program? Many do here in Oklahoma.
I've often thought out my ideal home indoor comfort system for when I build. I would have a hot water (small boiler) heating system in the slab or sub-floor for space heat and domestic hot water. I would then have a forced air heat-pump, ducts in the ceiling, for air conditioning it the summer and with a humidfier that I could use in the winter. Heat rises and cool settles /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.
Sorry I got off on my own tangent there. Just want you to make an informed decision about the comfort you will expect from your new house for years to come.

Thanks, I will take any ideas I get.

/ Heating Question part 2 #10  
The first item you need to consider is the life span of the new hot air furnace heat exchangers, [censored] short cause they are about as thick as aluminum foil. Yup, they're efficient as all hell, but expensive to replace. A boiler, on the other hand will last about 25 years. The baseboard system will outlast 2 boilers.
Second major consideration, the ducting system for AC should be totally different from the heating duct system. They need to serve different functions.
I have hot water heating, baseboard, with a seperate ducting system in the attic for AC. It's far more energy efficient than a coil in the furnace. There are also systems available today with individual evaporators for each room. If I was doing the job today, I'd go that way, probably with a ground loop condensor system.
Another consideration is getting rid of accumulated heat in the attic. Most contractors want to sell a cheap fan that is thermostaticly controlled. A better way to go is a fan that is clock or sunlight controlled. Remember, insulation only retards the flo of heat, so cooling the attic thru the night gives you alot better energy situation in the first half of the day, the sun needs to totally reheat the insulation, before the ceiling can reradiate the heat into the living area.
The initial cost of the system is only one consideration and usually turns out to be the least part of the cost of heating and cooling a house. It doesn't take a lot of brainpower to install the systems today either, most of the "professional installers" are 19 year old kids with the brainpower of a gerbil.