Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt

/ Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt #1  

Darryle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere
This John Deere 22B is the cats meow. Bid on it on AuctionTime and won it for $400. Considerably cheaper than buying a new one from John Deere and priced about the same as any current production one with the shear bolt.

I think this will do everything that I was wanting to do without the task of having to build one. IMG_20200704_190909316.jpgIMG_20200704_190921295.jpg

/ Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt #2  
Nice score sometimes you can do well at the auction.......:thumbsup:

/ Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt #3  
Why do you have the tooth mounted upside down ? :confused:

/ Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt #4  
Why do you have the tooth mounted upside down ? :confused:

I suspect that was not him. As it looks like he had drug it out of the back of his truck and took a picture.
But I do agree the ‘tooth’ or blade on his is mounted incorrectly.

/ Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt
It will only mount one way 1494610255.jpg

/ Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt #6  
It will only mount one way View attachment 662215

It is the bolt on point that is upside down, not the shank. The wear surface should be on top and the "U" part on the bottom of the shank. If you find your subsoiler will not go into the ground most likely the point is the issue unless you have the 3rd arm really way too long.

If you have trees around fields or pasture great tool to trim roots back.

I see that now. I will change it shortly. Thanks for pointing that out.

I suspect that the original selling dealer assembled it this way. I cannot break the nut and bolt loose, I am trying to avoid heating it, have it soaking right now. As a last resort, I will torch it off and replace it.

Looking at it, there are no signs of wear, wondering if it has ever been used.

/ Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt #9  
I suspect that the original selling dealer assembled it this way. I cannot break the nut and bolt loose, I am trying to avoid heating it, have it soaking right now. As a last resort, I will torch it off and replace it.

Looking at it, there are no signs of wear, wondering if it has ever been used.

Possibly not, as installed there would be wear on the mounting bracket for the blade and likely on the the shank. While we can not see the blade, the bracket and shank point show rust but not noticeable wear.

/ Heavy Duty Subsoiler with shear bolt #10  
You might be able to use metal cutting blade to cut the bolt. Still do that myself.