Heavy Lift

/ Heavy Lift #1  

MikeD74T

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S
Not tractor but interesting anyway. Yesterday the rotor was pulled from an 1100 Megawatt generator at my workplace. This piece is 207 tons. Supported by 2 kevlar slings.

/ Heavy Lift
Sorry ,trying pics again...

Attachments

• rotor pick1.jpeg
    rotor pick1.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 605
  • rotor pick 2.jpeg
    rotor pick 2.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 513
   / Heavy Lift #3  
Kevlar slings and a giant block and tackle. But what is holding them up????

That must be one giant sized I beam overhead.

/ Heavy Lift
Being lifted by a purpose built bridge crane, 210 ton main hook, 30 ton aux hook. 2 parallel box beams about 2' x 10' top & bottom are 1 1/4 " plate, don't know about the sides. 180' span.

/ Heavy Lift #6  
Now that I would like to have seen in person...thanks for sharing Mike.

/ Heavy Lift #7  
MikeD74T said:
Not tractor but interesting anyway. Yesterday the rotor was pulled from an 1100 Megawatt generator at my workplace. This piece is 207 tons. Supported by 2 kevlar slings.

Holy crap man! That is one big generator! You guys must take your backup generating seriously! ;)

My first time to see such slings was at a Peabody coal mine. They use similar slings to wrap onto the ROPS of D9 and D11 tractors to pick them up from on top of the high wall and set them down in the bottom of strip pits with their giant dragline machine. I'm told that if there is no sharp corners they prefer to use the straps. I've also seen the big semi wreckers use those slings to pick up those round tankers that semis pull when they've been turned over on the side of the road. Apparently they are more stable, don't slip as easily, and do less damage to what you are picking up. I have two (considerably smaller, but rated at 20,000 pounds) I use with my forklift in my barn to lift certain things.

Great pictures!!

/ Heavy Lift
Another day at work. Not as heavy, but high intensity. A nuclear fuel bundle on the move. Water distorts the view a little. The round part is a lifting tool, the square part at the bottom is the fuel. Top of fuel stays 12' under the water. MikeD74T

Attachments

• Fuel move.jpeg
    Fuel move.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 361
   / Heavy Lift
Took some editing & learning how to resize but here's the bottom of the above picture.

Attachments

• 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 323
   / Heavy Lift #10  
MikeD74T said:
Took some editing & learning how to resize but here's the bottom of the above picture.

Don't drop that thing. We're downwind (in a Noreaster).:D