Help Bending Metal Back

/ Help Bending Metal Back #21  
So I bought a front broom, unfortunately it is bent pretty bad, see attached.

What's the best way to Bend it back?

Can't use heat, too many pivoting bushings.

I was thinking a jack, but I can't figure it out

Any thoughts how to bend it back?
Looks like the weld broke or was never welded correctly from the factory.
Wrap a steel cable come-along around the two bars. Use a vehicle to push it back while tightening the cable.
Then weld it back.

Attachments

• IMG_2641.png
    IMG_2641.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
   / Help Bending Metal Back #22  
Its hard to see without a full zoomed out picture, that's the wheel support ? is it working do you need to bend it back ?

if you could tie it to the ground level then jack it up from underneath to straight it out, or hook it up to your tractor engage the breaks and chock the wheels and used a come along to pull it forward. In order to bend something back in place you need to go past the center alignment point and without heat there is a chance for something to break. ... It is very hard to get something bend back to its original location sometime it is better to leave it as is.
If you live in an area where there is an automotive frame machine you might try that. I have had good success with having them straighten things for me.

/ Help Bending Metal Back #23  
If you live in an area where there is an automotive frame machine you might try that. I have had good success with having them straighten things for me.
with some imagination and ingenuity one can do it at home yourself.

/ Help Bending Metal Back #24  
Take it apart, cut at weld, grind and reweld.

With a partially broken weld you can’t see the additional cracks.

/ Help Bending Metal Back
Just a quick followup. So I tried to bend the metal back. It wouldn’t go.

Thanks all, appreciate everyone’s time.
IMG_0269.jpeg

/ Help Bending Metal Back #26  
Find a shop with a bigger press, or cut it off and weld back on in the right spot/angle/etc. Others previously suggested a body shop with a frame machine as another option, as I recall.

/ Help Bending Metal Back #27  
Why not cut out a small triangular cut on the broom side of the square tube, near the plate it is attached to, leaving only the one flat side of the square tube connected. This would enable you to bend the square tube into the proper position, then weld the cut back together and add a tie plate for extra strength. You could also grind away some of the suspect weld at the plate and re-weld that.

/ Help Bending Metal Back #28  
Part of your problem may be jack is starved of hydraulic oil.... With jack in side and pump horizontal it my not have enough oil to fill pump/cylinder.... IT may not be the fact you can not bent the bars, it may be a fact the jack can not exert its full 6 ton rating...

Turn jack 90° so pump is on the bottom and try again...

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Help Bending Metal Back #29  
Part of your problem may be jack is starved of hydraulic oil.... With jack in side and pump horizontal it my not have enough oil to fill pump/cylinder.... IT may not be the fact you can not bent the bars, it may be a fact the jack can not exert its full 6 ton rating...

Turn jack 90° so pump is on the ebottom and try again...
(y) And I’d move the jack closer to the corner

/ Help Bending Metal Back #30  
Just a quick followup. So I tried to bend the metal back. It wouldn’t go.
Again, there's no use pushing it back without fixing the broken weld.