Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC

/ Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC #1  

Scott65

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota L3301
I remember seeing something somewhere instructing how to mock up a hydraulic cylinder using PVC pipe and fittings. I'm having to change up the design of my grapple for a different length of cylinder. Does someone possibly remember where the thread is talking about what size fittings and such? I've tried searching but I'm sure I'm not wording it correctly, I can't seem to find it again

/ Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC #2  
Bore a hole in the ends of the pvc tubes

Slide one tube inside the other.

Insert pins into the tube ends and bracket.

With the grapple fully closed, measure the pin to pin length. = cyl length

Raise the grapple and the pin to pin length is the closed length of the cyl. = cyl length closed

Also mark how much PVC is inside the outer tube. The two marks on the tube = stroke length.

/ Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC
Bore a hole in the ends of the pvc tubes

Slide one tube inside the other.

Insert pins into the tube ends and bracket.

With the grapple fully closed, measure the pin to pin length. = cyl length

Raise the grapple and the pin to pin length is the closed length of the cyl. = cyl length closed

Also mark how much PVC is inside the outer tube. The two marks on the tube = stroke length.

Thank you sir! I didn't even think of drilling the tube itself. I was envisioning using smaller pvc and putting T's on each end. I figured someone would already know what size PVC would accept a 3/4" pin through it so I didn't make multiple trips to a tractor thats 60 miles away. But this works just the same

/ Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC #4  
I remember seeing something somewhere instructing how to mock up a hydraulic cylinder using PVC pipe and fittings. I'm having to change up the design of my grapple for a different length of cylinder. Does someone possibly remember where the thread is talking about what size fittings and such? I've tried searching but I'm sure I'm not wording it correctly, I can't seem to find it again

Did you use the "Google Custom Search" box that is above the forum "Search" icon at the top of the page?

Here is a recent one: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/291399-question-sizing-hydraulic-cylinder-diy.html

/ Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC
   / Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC #6  
Ah ha, no sir I didn't. I always use the Search button on the top row of controls. Its results are usually confusing and irrelevant. Thanks for the tip!
Your'e welcome.

The "Google Custom Search" box only searches TBN. l try to use the least amount of words in the search.

/ Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC #7  
Unless you either want to start modifying cylinders yourself or paying for custom cylinders to be built,:eek: you might want to look at some hydraulic cylinder charts and copy down a bunch of standard working lengths and make those work one way or another. Probably by altering your mounts in some way. You still need to do the PVC thing, just have the std working lengths pre marked.

Good luck. ;)

/ Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC #8  
Unless you either want to start modifying cylinders yourself or paying for custom cylinders to be built,:eek: you might want to look at some hydraulic cylinder charts and copy down a bunch of standard working lengths and make those work one way or another. Probably by altering your mounts in some way. You still need to do the PVC thing, just have the std working lengths pre marked.

Good luck. ;)

^^^^^
This!

/ Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC #9  

I think you can use the cylinder that you have.

Lengthen the top lid arms, where I added the curved arrow to your picture, at an angle that will keep the tips touching the front edge of the bucket.

Lower the cylinder base pivot to where it is slightly above and behind the lid pivot, with full extension.

The lower base pivot will let the lid open wider with full retraction.

You may have to make the rod end bracket a little longer or drill the hole in the top corner so the rod doesn't touch the lid.

grapple2m.jpg

Edit: I posted this in another thread and thought about your modification.

Look at the pivot points in the highest position, this is what you need.
grapplepositions.jpg

Last edited:
   / Help finding thread on mocking up cylinders with PVC #10  

Good luck. ;)

Yeah, + 1 jillion.

When possible, you always want to start with a stock collapsed length. If you don't use all the stroke on extend that's fine.

Rough Estimate of standard lengths for 2-3" cylinders is 8" + Stroke. So a 24" stroke cylinder has a 32" collapsed length.