Help: How to level with a front end loader

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #41  
I guess it's different in different parts of the country.. Here they use either sand or screened clay soil under above ground pools, with sand being the preferred material. Keeps rocks from working up through the liner and the water weight holds it down quite well. They even used sand for ages with in ground pools too, before vermiculite became the standard. I agree with trying to avoid filling low spots because of settling.if it has to be done it should be in 6" lifts and compacted with a plate compactor..

We fill pools for a living in the summer, so I've seen thousands over the past 40 years.
Theres a foam board out there too for underlayment.. any experience with it?

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #42  
I have a Kubota L4400 with a FEL and I've used it for spreading, but never for digging. I've been searching for a while but haven't stumbled across any resources teaching how to level with it. I need to level an area for an above ground pool.

Can someone either point me to a good tutorial or explain it to me like I'm five?

I don't know the terrain, as I'm doing this for a friend and haven't seen the site yet, so any limitations on this would be good as well. The soil will most likely be hard clay, like everything around here.

As everyone has mentioned you need to be able to get the tractor and fel close to level. If I have enough room to manuever I will scratch up a few buckets from high spots and dump them perpendicular to where I need them to raise the tractor on the low side. A simple magnetic mount torpedo level mounted on the dash can help alot too. A long board, good level, plate compactor, rakes and shovels come to mind too. Unless the pool is huge, finish leveling should not be a big deal for a couple of guys.

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #43  
   / Help: How to level with a front end loader #44  
No sir, I've never seen that used here.

Thanks.. was thinking of trying it, but havent found anyone with real world experience yet.

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #45  
I think for leveling and smoothing the float function of your bucket, going in reverse does a lot. Having a bucket filled helps in float and reverse with the extra weight, too.

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #46  
I guess it's different in different parts of the country.. Here they use either sand or screened clay soil under above ground pools, with sand being the preferred material. Keeps rocks from working up through the liner and the water weight holds it down quite well. They even used sand for ages with in ground pools too, before vermiculite became the standard. I agree with trying to avoid filling low spots because of settling.if it has to be done it should be in 6" lifts and compacted with a plate compactor..

We fill pools for a living in the summer, so I've seen thousands over the past 40 years.

Don't use a plate compactor in clay. You need a sheepsfoot. The plate types are only good for sand or gravel.

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #48  
If the grade is not too steep I would work downhill from the center to use the weight of the tractor to help move the dirt dumping on the low side until you've created a level work surface, then work from the side. Use grade stakes so you can see level and not do extra work. Cut slow and keep it level as you go. If you don't have a bucket level set the tractor on level ground and find some reference on the loader to keep bucket level, As mentioned above back dragging keeps your wheels level which is the key for even cutting. Think in terms of shaving off layers verus digging potholes. It's best to skim the grass off to the side since it will not compact. JP