Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I have a well used old log splitter. Was used as a rental unit for years before I got it and I have run maybe 30 cords thru it.

When I got it, you could put the lever in the retract position and it would stay there until the ram retracted all the way and then it would pop into center. No more, hasn't done that in years.

I'm tired of holding the handle while it retracts, so I have been looking at valves.

Labels are almost all gone, so I have no info to go by.

It has a 5 hp engine--I replaced it a few years ago with a new one, same HP as original.

4" cylinder.

Was told I need an open center valve, whatever that is.

Also, a detent valve, again, whatever that is.

And what GPM should I look for?

It's got a 2 stage pump.

Hoses attach to 3/4" ports.

Anything else I should know?

If I get this valve do I need to adjust the pressure?: Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL 25 GPM LOG SPLITTER VALVE W/AUTO DETENT

And I don't really see any difference between that one and this one except this one is $30 more expensive: Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL 25 GPM PRINCE LS30002 VALVE

Would either of these work?

Any benefit to buying the more expensive one? Or are both of these wrong?

Thanks.

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #2  
Open center refers to the fact that the oil flows through the valve when the spool is not being used, and back into the resivoir. Closed center requires a special pump that only builds working pressure when the valve is activated. The pressure essentially dead heads at the valve, though there is usually a pilot circuit involved that builds minimum pressure that senses flow to "shift" the pump into gear. Open circuit has a pump that builds pressure continously, like a gear pump.

Its possible your detent and valve has an adjustment to increase the pressure.

Take a look at your pump and get your GPM from it and pressure. GPM gives you speed. With a two stage pump it probably also builds around 3000 psi. This is a consideration too. These aren't rated for that much. I'd think you run the risk of splitting the valve from over pressure. The pump will likely have some label on it. The two stage will move the cylinder fast when its not under load, but slow it down and put out more force when it is under load.

The detent is being used for the return stroke?

Here's a site you might want to look at: http://www.splitez.com/log_splitter_parts.html

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #3  
Either valve will work.

You will not have to adjust anything. Relief pressure and detent pressure release is set.

Your two stage pump is capable of 2500 psi

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #4  
If everything on the system is the same as "years ago" then most likely the detent device on the existing valve is malfunctioned. You should be able to buy the part for the end of the spool that contains the ball bearing stops or similar device to return the detent feature of the valve. Shouldn't require a new valve.

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #5  
Not knowing what valve you have it is hard to say why it wont retract as it should but if it has an adjustable pressure valve it could be adjusted wrong, most likely adjusted too far to the pressure side. When you said rental unit I'm thinking someone probably was trying to get a little more out of it than the valve will allow and tried to adjust it so that it would split the old knotted up clunkers they were trying to split. I don't know if your valve is adjustable but if it is try turning the pressure back in half turn increments and see if that will bring your detent circuit back to where it will work for you.

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #6  
Trial and error is one thing, but if you don't know the manufacture of the valve, you will have problems. Sure you might fiddle with it and get it to operate, but you probably will never know what the setting are. Once you take that valve apart, it may not go back together.

Do you have a gage to even test the PRV pressure. or detent pressure.

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #7  
The max operating pressure on the first valve is 2750 psi, PRV pressure is 2200 psi, and detent pressure is 1100 psi.

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics
Thanks for the info.

The only info on the valve casting is "Grand" and "Omaha". No data plates. It does look a lot like the 2 Prince valves, but of course looks don't mean much.

The pump is submerged inside the reservoir. I don't really want to take the lid off, drain the fluid just to get the pump info if I don't have to.

FWIW, the splitter brand is Bachtold Brothers, but contacting them was no help--they simply said they had no parts for it.

I do not have a pressure gauge.

With your comments, I kinda thinking I'll put the $60.95 valve on it. I have replaced the hoses and the engine, so with a new valve it I should only have to worry about replacing the pump and cylinder in the future, but they both seem to be working well. It splits 18" Doug fir logs with 2 1/2"+ knots, although it does sometimes stop when hitting those large knots, then I cycle the valve and she pushes on thru.

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #9  
When you receive the valve and install it, if it seems a little weak, you have about 500 psi of PRV pressure you can adjust, depends on the pump psi rating. You will need a $15 hyd gage and a tee to connect and set the pressure.

/ Help! I know almost zero about hydraulics #10  
The only info on the valve casting is "Grand" and "Omaha". No data plates. It does look a lot like the 2 Prince valves, but of course looks don't mean much.

I'll bet it's a Brand valve. They're made in Omaha. Look at this link.
BRAND HYDRAULICS - Product Catalog
I'll bet you can still get parts for it.
Good luck.