Help identifying #1 cylinder on BX2350

/ Help identifying #1 cylinder on BX2350 #11  
What about the engine on a combine harvester? They're mounted transverse on the unit just like my Toyota RAV4. The number one cylinder is on the end opposite the flywheel by the water pump and vibration damper pulley.

/ Help identifying #1 cylinder on BX2350 #12  
Uhhh... OK, educate me. If the rear is not always where the flywheel attaches to the crankshaft then exactly what officially identifies the "front?"
The Kubota BX series has the transmission being powered from the FRONT of the engine, yet the flywheel is mounted to the REAR of the engine.

/ Help identifying #1 cylinder on BX2350 #13  
The Kubota BX series has the transmission being powered from the FRONT of the engine, yet the flywheel is mounted to the REAR of the engine.
Education not complete: The silly confusing situation is just fine with me. Take that as a given. Now, who gets to decide which is the front and which is the rear and what was their criteria for the decision?

/ Help identifying #1 cylinder on BX2350 #14  
Education not complete: The silly confusing situation is just fine with me. Take that as a given. Now, who gets to decide which is the front and which is the rear and what was their criteria for the decision?
The engine manufacturer decides which end is the front as shown in post #2.

/ Help identifying #1 cylinder on BX2350 #15  
The engine manufacturer decides which end is the front as shown in post #2.
OK, ... so cylinder #1 (decided upon by the mfr) is always at the "front" of the engine?

/ Help identifying #1 cylinder on BX2350 #16  
OK, ... so cylinder #1 (decided upon by the mfr) is always at the "front" of the engine?
As I stated before, on a Kubota diesel engine, the number one cylinder is always at the front of the engine and the flywheel is always at the rear. This arrangement is decided and assigned by Kubota.