Tractor Sizing Help in sizing tractor

/ Help in sizing tractor #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Hello everyone,
I'm interested in your advice on the following. I have aproximately 14 acres that has about 5 acres cleared that is presently being farmed, a 1 acre pond and another 7 acres that is an old cutover tha I will probably clear for a homesite. The 7 acres is somewhat hilly, with all kinds of underbrush and 10 foot pines that have volunteered. The pond and the cleared land are at a lower elevation. There is about a 30 foot drop to this part of the property at a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 slope. Other information: Land is rocky. I may be able to purchase another 14 acres beside it that looks identicle. Also, my brother has a 4320 and several implemets that we can share. I could purchase a few that he doesn't have and between us we'd hae a pretty good variety of tools for most jobs. That could be considered a benefit. However, I'm not sure if its enough to go the extra mile for a 4320 when all I have is 14 acres at this point. There's no guarantee that I'll buy the other land. Would a 30 series tractor be able to pull the same attachments as the 4320. It looks like some folks on here are going for the 2520 with similiar acreage. What's the least amount of tractor that could use the sam implements as the 4320? Thanks in advance for all your help. This appears to be a great forum.
RJ

/ Help in sizing tractor #2  
Hello, welcome to the forum. It really depends what type of equipment he has. I can barely doubt that a 3320 or 3520 will pull his implements but a 3720 should no problem. I would recommend some models, 3720, 4320, 4520, 5045E, 5055E. I would really look into the 5E series. Their cheap you should really look into them, If you go to JohnDeere's channel on Youtube you can see some videos about them comparing to a Kubota.

/ Help in sizing tractor
Thank you, I'm jsut staritng to look. My brother has a FEL 6' blade, bush hog, a plow and disc for the 4320. I'm considering a back hoe. FEL, root rake of some sort. I realize the E series is an economy tractor. What are the disadvantages of that series over others? I don't wnat to buy it and find out I can't perform some routine task.
Thanks

/ Help in sizing tractor #4  
Dont look down at the 5E Series. They might not have all the bells and whistles you want. But you get a lot of power per dollar. It isn't like a real economy tractor. Its way better than a kubota. Its a basic tractor but its not a economy tractor.

/ Help in sizing tractor #5  
Dont look down at the 5E Series. They might not have all the bells and whistles you want. But you get a lot of power per dollar. It isn't like a real economy tractor. Its way better than a kubota. Its a basic tractor but its not a economy tractor.

There are definitely some advantages that a John Deere may have over a Kubota, but I assure you that there is probably an equal number where Kubota is better.

I've owned both in aboutthe same size and speaking between the two tractors, there were some features that were standard on the Kubota that John Deere didn't have.

The biggest thing I like on the John Deere is that the brakes are on the left.

/ Help in sizing tractor #6  
A 3520 is a good tractor it has something like 38 hp and the one I use for a farmer does great with loader, brush cutter and even a backhoe

/ Help in sizing tractor #7  
There are definitely some advantages that a John Deere may have over a Kubota, but I assure you that there is probably an equal number where Kubota is better.

I've owned both in aboutthe same size and speaking between the two tractors, there were some features that were standard on the Kubota that John Deere didn't have.

The biggest thing I like on the John Deere is that the brakes are on the left.

Not all of this is true. All my tractors are right hand brakes. The only reason you have the brakes on the left is for it to be more user friendly and eHydro and HST are both configured that way. If you go to any other JD that is not eHydro or HST the brakes will be on the right.

/ Help in sizing tractor #8  
Seems in working with most any ground implements or loader, in a compact tractor up to let's say the 4000 series Deere - you're going to run out of traction before you run out of horsepower. That is my experience with a 4120 Deere anyway. If you're running pto-driven implements, that's a different situation. As Edward mentioned, the 5000 series Deere is another step up and has enough weight to make a difference - you'll not have the e-Hydro option with those machines though. IMHO if you're going to share implements with your brother, I'd probably stick with that size machine myself.

/ Help in sizing tractor #9  
Not all of this is true. All my tractors are right hand brakes. The only reason you have the brakes on the left is for it to be more user friendly and eHydro and HST are both configured that way. If you go to any other JD that is not eHydro or HST the brakes will be on the right.

Let me re-phrase, what I like the most about my John Deere is that the brakes are on the left.

/ Help in sizing tractor #10  
Let me re-phrase, what I like the most about my John Deere is that the brakes are on the left.

That sounds better :thumbsup:, I kind of felt like a dick after saying that. :ashamed: