Help installing my BHT-2 sensors on my Hesston 4550 baler

/ Help installing my BHT-2 sensors on my Hesston 4550 baler #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Greetings folks - I hope everyone is healthy and safe.

Due to various reasons I have put off installing my BHT-2 monitor on my inline baler. I now have time, so am cleaning it up to get ready for the install.

The Instructions say to have one sensor on the cut side which is the bottom of the bale chamber on my inline. All well and good, but my top and bottom rails that the sensors need to be bolted too are fully boxed and I have no way to get to the bolts on the sensor blocks on the back side. The only way I can see is to drill oversize holes(1/2" or 3/4") on the top/bottom of the box section to reach the bolts. Or possibly one large2 to 3" hole to reach.. I don't know if that will weaken the structure. The location I have chosen is across from star wheel 8" back for the the end of the rails to start of sensor blocks.

I believe I can take the top rail off so it is easier to work with (2 bolts up by knotters and drive roll pins from the studs), Is it the same with the bottom rail (two studs with roll pins forward) and the two bolts at the back?. However with the top rail out, access to the bottom rail would be easier easier. Is there a specific direction the roll pins go?

The other way is to mount the sensor blocks to the side of the bale chamber, but there is no cut side there so wonder if reading will still be accurate.

I plan to use a heavy duty magnet to hold the monitor on the tractor hood .Tractor Supply has them. Thoughts? National Hardware N32-59 V753 Round Magnetic Base at Tractor Supply Co.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Keith

/ Help installing my BHT-2 sensors on my Hesston 4550 baler
Solution. I called Agratronix. The nice lady said they could be mounted on the side of the bale chamber if my tension rails were boxed. Readings should be the same. She understood that one of the sensors would not be on a cut side, which is the bottom side on an inline (where the knives are).

I had figured out a way to install in the rails with neighbors help. He has a drill press that could drill a hole all the way through both faces of the boxed tension rails, but does not have any large drill bits to drill out the first hole for access, so I would need to buy one. To use his press I would need to remove both rails - could be done, but not easy. I suspect everything (bolts roll pins) is rusted solid.

So I am going with the side mount. I just need to be sure sensors are directly across from each other.

/ Help installing my BHT-2 sensors on my Hesston 4550 baler
Well it all done Il get pictures later when the rain stops. Was able to use the magnet to hold display on tractor fender. Calibration and updating the software went well. Last issue will be how to hold the cord up between the baler and tractor during operation. I think a couple of bunjy cords will work.

On edit - when you place the templates and drill the holes, be sure you are dead on. I got off on one. There is no room for error there. Ill know how it works next week. Doing my first cutting Tuesday or Wednesday.