Help, load leveler project, design ideas. owners?

/ Help, load leveler project, design ideas. owners? #1  

Mith

Veteran Member
Hi, I need help with a project, having trouble working out how to do something.
First, does anyone actually have one, Northern tool sell them (the bottom right hand pic)?
Secondly, the problem, my design (top left), as you can see on the northern tool one the secont hanging point moves back and forth to you can adjst for the width of the load, i was going to do what they did on the northern tool one with the holder and the hanger sliding in and out held with the pin but mine is quite a bit longer than theirs (1500mm) and i need a better way of doing it. Any ideas? im kinda stumped, need someone elses perspective.
Another thing, any ideas for improvements on the design.
Clear as mud eh? sorry.
thanks for any suggestions ideas ect
I really want to hear from anyone who has one, someone must have one.....
thank you very much

Last edited:
   / Help, load leveler project, design ideas. owners? #2  
If you are speaking about the two tabs on the bottom of the bar, the reason that there are two is because if you just have one like on your bar, the whole bar will pivot down at the single tab under load. Also, then you would be raising the entire load almost straight up and down instead of back and forth as it is cranked.

/ Help, load leveler project, design ideas. owners?
yea I know there are meant to be two, I just cant work out the best way to put the second moveable one on my design. It needs to be able to be moved without tools and have a large mavable range. the metofd on the nortern tool one is no good because mine is so much longer and it need to go under the beam and out to the end
sorry i didnt explain clearly
thanks

/ Help, load leveler project, design ideas. owners? #4  
Couldn't you just duplicate the sliding pick-point on top and put it on the bottom?

That should give you a wide range of widths to lift from. Probably wont be as strong as the fixed tab but you could size it acording to anticipated maximum weight.

Spot on, thanks, great idea!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I knew I could count on TBNers!
Any ideas how to lock it in the place you want?

Ok, got an updated one now, with your hanger on the bottom and a handle (the circular bar along the top is a thread, when turned moves the slider on the top along)

Last edited:
   / Help, load leveler project, design ideas. owners? #6  
How about drilling and tapping it then inserting a bolt with a T-handle that you can snug up to hold in place against the beams flange.

man you guys are good, thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Sounds like a plan to me!

/ Help, load leveler project, design ideas. owners? #8  
Looks like you owe a couple guys a cold one.

Oh, look at that, we're on different coasts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theyre in the fridge if ya wanna pop round!
yea, cheers guys, very much appreciated, you can feel happy in that you may have helped me on my way to a better grade!
thanks, ill be sure to post the finished design! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif