Help me decide

/ Help me decide #1  

Stan R

Tractor
Kubota 7040 cab
I have a Kubota M7040. I am going to buy a Landpride Batwing. It will be either the RC3715 or the RC3712. The specs are very close expect the width. My question is will my tractor handle the 15 ft mower? The saleman I have used for over 10 years says get the 12 foot. It will be easier on the tractor. Others have said buy the 15 foot you Your tractor will handle it fine. I plan on used the cutter for some commercial shredding. I am leaning towards the 15 ft and might just have to use a lower speed to shred.

Thanks

/ Help me decide #2  
I have a Kubota M7040. I am going to buy a Landpride Batwing. It will be either the RC3715 or the RC3712. The specs are very close expect the width. My question is will my tractor handle the 15 ft mower? The saleman I have used for over 10 years says get the 12 foot. It will be easier on the tractor. Others have said buy the 15 foot you Your tractor will handle it fine. I plan on used the cutter for some commercial shredding. I am leaning towards the 15 ft and might just have to use a lower speed to shred.

Thanks
Biggest factor in my 35 years of custom mowing experience would be
1.how heavy the grass you are cutting
2. hills.
3. roading
You are on the edge of capability of your tractor. I owned an M-7040 about 10 years ago and wouldn’t want a 15’ mower unless it was a light duty model. An M-7040 is a nice little tractor, but going down steep hills and up steep hills with a 15’ mower pushing you might be tricky. Definitely a “gear down” situation. You’ll also need to stay on top of your blade sharpness because you are borderline on HP.
Are you roading between jobs? I‘d want to make sure you have a full compliment of beacons & flashers. An M-7040 isn’t a speed demon. I like to run from one field to another at 25MPH+ to cut down on wasted time.

Most important I’d need to know more about your terrain & grass height/thickness.

I would suggest a John Deere 15’ lightweight batwing. You’d love that mower.

Last edited:
   / Help me decide
I live in Texas about 1/2 way between Dallas and Houston close to I-45. Most of the land is pretty flat. There are places that how some gentle rises. I expect to cut light to medium stuff and other small bush type plants.

/ Help me decide #4  
The other question would be does that tractor have the economy PTO option and do you plan on using it? I pull a 21' Frontier finish mower with mine and run it in EPTO. My tractor stays in EPTO all the time. I pulled that same mower with my old 5310(55HP) prior to this tractor and in EPTO as well.

/ Help me decide #5  
I personally thing that on flat land like that you will be fine with the 15 FT batwing. I do agree with HD that I would buy the JD instead of the LP. I saw 2 of those sell on the farm eq auction I was at yesterday. They brought 5 grand each. In fairly good condition.

/ Help me decide
I do not have the EPTO. The other mower in play was the Rhino. The one wiith the same specs was about the same price. The RC3715 or 12 is a medium duty mower.

I am also considering a rhino 4125. It is a 12 ft pretty heavy duty mower.

Last edited:
   / Help me decide #7  
I'm not familiar with Landpride cutters. I know the Rhino's are good. I've owned one of them. I'm still in the camp of looking at the JD. That's what all the commercial guys here in SC pull for highway maintenance.

/ Help me decide #8  
I do not have the EPTO. The other mower in play was the Rhino. The one wiith the same specs was about the same price. The RC3715 or 12 is a medium duty mower.

I am also considering a rhino 4125. It is a 12 ft pretty heavy duty mower.

I’d be SUPER leary of pushing that tractor into anything bigger than 2” brush.
You’ll nuke your PTO clutches with driveline shock.
If you are going to be backing into brush, I’d keep it at 8’.

Straight up grassy fields like you are describing a 12-15 light duty would be perfect.

Once you get into a medium 15’, just spinning up the gearboxes will put too much stress on your PTO.

I like a Deere MX-15 behind an M-7040 for pasture clipping. Tall grass will bog you down too much. If tall (like 4’ +) I’d drop to a 10-12’

Last edited:
   / Help me decide #9  
I live in Texas about 1/2 way between Dallas and Houston close to I-45. Most of the land is pretty flat. There are places that how some gentle rises. I expect to cut light to medium stuff and other small bush type plants.
Sounds like a 15 would be just fine too me. I’ve got a M4-071, if I was getting a cutter for it I’d absolutely be looking at a 15, but that’s because I’ve already got a smaller Brushhog for working thick stuff so I know I’d never be pushing it’s capacity with a batwing.

/ Help me decide #10  
Here’s my M-7040 with an 8’ Deere twin spindle about 15 years ago.

1708263583543.jpeg