help me justify a tractor

/ help me justify a tractor #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
I am hoping within the next year to get an older, smaller tractor. [8n, Ferggie to-20 to-30 etc.] but I kind of need to justify having one. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI know a FEL is pretty much out of the question because of week hydro and front ends, but what other attachments will they work? Will they run a post hole digger? How useful is a rear dirt scoop? Anything else that they can do, that the garden tractors I all ready have cant?

/ help me justify a tractor #2  
<font color="blue"> "I kind of need to justify having one." </font>

Wanting to have one is 'justification' enough. You like tractors. You want one. You'll enjoy having one. Get yourself one. That's all there is to it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ help me justify a tractor #3  
I think Gary has pretty well made the point. I'll elaborate and say that having a tractor is like having a pickup truck - once you have one, you very quickly start to wonder how you ever got along without one. Also, try to get as many implements / attachments as you can, either with the tractor or later on - and don't forget that a lot of implements can be rented, which is very cost-effective for limited usage. It's the implements that give you the capability to do different things - the tractor is just the platform for utilizing the implements. Think carefully about all that you currently do with your garden tractor, and think about what you can do with a larger tractor - you'll likely be able to replace the garden tractor functions with your new tractor, so you can sell the garden tractor and recoup some of the cost of purchasing a new tractor.

Good Luck, and happy tractoring !

Caretaker

/ help me justify a tractor #4  
testosterone- need I say more! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ help me justify a tractor #5  
With your 4.3 acres, it's probably more desire and preference than pure necessity. You could just mow some of it with a lawn mower and hire out anything beyond the mowing. But that's probably not how you want to live your life, so a tractor becomes part of your decision to work on your property yourself.

So, consider the investment in a tractor part of seeking fulfillment in your psychic well-being. Think of it as an alternative to therapy, even.

I better stop before this baloney gets more than ankle deep! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Do it because you want to!

/ help me justify a tractor #6  
I have to agree with the others...If ya want it, and can afford it, get it.. no justification needed... good ol'e US of A.

One sugestion I would like to make. the ford N's and fergies don't have live pto or Hyds. dirt scoops and post hole diggers will be better with at least live hyd's.. and even better with live pto.

If you moved up a few years to a NAA or jubilee you would have the live hyds.... Live hyds let you move the 3pt lift with the clutch in or out.. will make using that dirt scoop much easier... on the N's and fergies.. as you cack into the pile, and start to spin, and hit the clutch.. you loos the lift... not great for digging. not knocking the N's as mowing machines though... ( I've got an 8n and a NAA.. love em both... ).

Tractors can be a source for happiness.. think of it like that.. and every time they save your back.. smile..

Soundguy

/ help me justify a tractor #7  
I use a dirt scoop, rear blade and brush hog. They've done everything I tried with no trouble. Keep front weight to keep from doing wheelies. I'm not sure what the tractors go for your looking at, but you might try ebay for a more recent tracor.
Justifacation? You don't need no stinkin' justifacation!

/ help me justify a tractor #8  
I agree with Soundguy on the Fords. If you are going to stick with them, get this book for a good overview on Fords. I like the format of this book series for a number of trucks, cars, and motorcycles I am interested in. It will help you wade through models and what they have for engines, transmissions and PTOs. I did not find hydraulic info or specs like lift capacity as we've come to expect from modern brochures. I'm sure that info can be found once you narrow the search to a model or a range of models.

Ditto on the reasoning - with so many people buying snow sleds, 4 wheelers, and $$ pickups, I can't imagine 3-6 grand for an old tractor being that much of an extravagance. Long as the boss agrees.

/ help me justify a tractor #9  
My 2 cents worth:

Unless you've picked your particular models out of nostalgia (or easy & cheap availability?) you may be going about it backwards. Figure out what you want to do with it first, then find a tractor that fits your needs and budget. If you describe for us your land and what you intend to do with it, there are a lot of folks here who can be a big help in helping to figure out what models you should be considering.

John Mc

/ help me justify a tractor #10  
PAUL: u evidently love tractors or u would not have stayed around long enough to become a vertran member.. i fu want one and it is not a majior drain on your finances <font color="red"> </font> THEN JUST BUY ONE <font color="red"> </font> no justification needed.just make sure u don't go and get a 200hp monster. that u would need to justify! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. get what you can afford and remember any tractor is better than no tractor.