Help me pull the trigger... M6040

/ Help me pull the trigger... M6040 #1  
Tractor
none yet
Looking at a VERY gently used 2013 M6040. Looks new, <80 hours, very close to me. Planning on going to look at it in more detail tomorrow, and spend some time with it. I have been debating the right tractor for me for the 80 acres we purchased, and this seems big enough to do 90%+ of anything that I would want outside of a full blown hay operation (which I am probably better off hiring out on shares anyway). Key things are mowing (see below), maintaining a 1/4 mile drive, building a shooting range and backstop, general maintenance of the land and some cattle.

What I know:

2013 Kubota M6040 4x4
64hp turbo diesel
Two stacks of rear wheel weights
Joystick loader
left hand reverser
two sets of rear hydraulics
Asking: $32K
tier 2 emissions, seems like a good thing to not have to deal with all the new stuff...
cab, with working heat/air/stereo (will confirm tomorrow)

Was used at an apartment complex for snow removal, and the last few years haven't had all that much snow. Owner is selling because they bought a skid steer and decided to use that for snow removal.

Open questions:

1) This is virtually no usage on a 6+ year old tractor. Anything I should be looking for that could be an issue from sitting too much?
2) I will likely use this for mowing/etc. From my research, it seems that this should pull an 8' mower easily, and likely a 10'. Any thoughts on this?
3) General thoughts on this price? It is strange because the thing is nearly new from a usage perspective, but realistically 6 years old, so all warranties, etc. are over.

The only other interesting used tractor near me seems to be an M5-091 with 700 hours, but that thing is $44K. A lot more tractor, but not sure the extra weight/HP are actually useful for what I need?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/help.

Sandman

/ Help me pull the trigger... M6040 #2  
I think it's a little pricey but it's probably one of the best Kubotas ever made. Is there a cab on it?
Not sure on the price but while you educate yourself and calm your fears, someone will make a deal and snap it up.

/ Help me pull the trigger... M6040
There is a cab, should have mentioned that originally. Added it to the original post.

/ Help me pull the trigger... M6040 #4  
There is a cab, should have mentioned that originally. Added it to the original post.

Now it's not so pricey since it has a cab. Go see it and if it looks as nice as you think, inspect, negotiate a price and leave a deposit. If unsure on mechanical things, take someone along. Presume 8 speed trans, which is good but if a 12 speed that's a home run. That's my two cents.

/ Help me pull the trigger... M6040 #5  
I think the tractor is adequate for your needs and appears a good value. The only concerns I'd have would be seals seeping from sitting and stuff like that.

/ Help me pull the trigger... M6040 #6  
Sounds good especially for the low hours.
My 2010 Cabbed 6040 had 1100 hrs, loader and single rear remote $26k and I thought that was fair

/ Help me pull the trigger... M6040 #7  
View attachment 633293 . This is my 2009 Kubota M6040. Bought new in 2009. It's been a real joy to operate. Absolutely no problems at all. I have it, more or less, maxed out weight wise. 820# grapple on the FEL - 1550# of RimGuard in the rear tires - 1050# Rhino 950 rear blade. Total weight - 10,100#.

I have 80 acres to play on and a mile long gravel driveway to maintain.

With a cab and heat & air its not such a bad price for low hours. One other thing - this tractor will need Class 2 implements to function at its highest capacity. There is a significant price jump going from Class 1 to Class 2.

On a used tractor gage its condition more on hours of use as opposed to years from date of manufacturer. With less than 80 hours - it isn't even broken in yet.

As previously stated - I've had not one single problem with my Kubota.

One last thought - if you do purchase the M6040 - - ask the owner to give you the Operator Manual. There is a lot of good info in the manual. Your local Kubota dealer should be able to get one if the original is "lost".

Last edited:
   / Help me pull the trigger... M6040 #9  
Buy it. Buy it now. If you don’t, PM me know the contact please and I will send the guy a deposit tonight.

I have a 2012 M7040 I bought with just under 1000 hours and gave the same price. Nothing but tickled with the tractor.

/ Help me pull the trigger... M6040 #10  
View attachment 633293 . This is my 2009 Kubota M6040. Bought new in 2009. It's been a real joy to operate. Absolutely no problems at all. I have it, more or less, maxed out weight wise. 820# grapple on the FEL - 1550# of RimGuard in the rear tires - 1050# Rhino 950 rear blade. Total weight - 10,100#.

I have 80 acres to play on and a mile long gravel driveway to maintain.

With a cab and heat & air its not such a bad price for low hours. One other thing - this tractor will need Class 2 implements to function at its highest capacity. There is a significant price jump going from Class 1 to Class 2.

On a used tractor gage its condition more on hours of use as opposed to years from date of manufacturer. With less than 80 hours - it isn't even broken in yet.

As previously stated - I've had not one single problem with my Kubota.

One last thought - if you do purchase the M6040 - - ask the owner to give you the Operator Manual. There is a lot of good info in the manual. Your local Kubota dealer should be able to get one if the original is "lost".

If the owner doesn't have the Owner's Manual it should be available on line. I have the hard copy for my M7060 but I also downloaded the PDF version to keep on my computer for quick reference...it's what I do screen shots of to prove a point when I see silly incorrect information being posted on this site. PDF version is free.