3-Point Hitch Help me troubleshoot slow raising 3pt arms....

/ Help me troubleshoot slow raising 3pt arms.... #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Hi,

Can someone in the know give me a bit of a quick list of things to check that might be causing slow responding, almost no fine adjustment, and slow moving 3 point hitch arms?? Steering is fine, as are the rest of the hydraulic circuits.

I have a 2005 4720 with 470 hours on it.

Thanks, really appreciate any help you can offer.

-Jer.

/ Help me troubleshoot slow raising 3pt arms.... #3  
Have you changed/serviced the hyd system (400hr) per the maintainence schedule? New fluid, cleaned the suction filter and new gasket, new hyd filter? And everything has been OK until now?

Most everything I read in the manual says to look at the suction side of the hydraulic system.

Or the pressure relief valve.. When you operate the 3pt does it sound like the system is going into relief? Like the valve is stuck or has some crap in it?

(But, you should experience some problems with the FEL and steering, too.)

AKfish

/ Help me troubleshoot slow raising 3pt arms.... #4  
Like Cat_Driver says I would first try adjusting rockshaft drop rate before anything else. If your 4720 is the cab version the knob is on the front of the seat base along with the seat compressor adjustment knob and differential lock.

/ Help me troubleshoot slow raising 3pt arms....
   / Help me troubleshoot slow raising 3pt arms.... #6  
There should be a control knob that adjusts the amount of lift and drop.

Look around the seat, or near the controls it should be there

Hydraulic Lift on a Tractor: How It Works | Expert Village Videos

Like Cat_Driver says I would first try adjusting rockshaft drop rate before anything else. If your 4720 is the cab version the knob is on the front of the seat base along with the seat compressor adjustment knob and differential lock.

That knob ONLY controls the DROP rate/speed, it has NO effect on lift.

/ Help me troubleshoot slow raising 3pt arms.... #7  
Already tried the knob.... no go....

I think AKFish is onto something....

-Jer.

Does that mean you have not done any service yet?

Does that mean you have not done any service yet?

I have done service.... I bought the machine with 350hrs on it, with a fresh service. At 450 hours I did engine oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter, and front axle oil. I somehow missed the "change transmission oil and filter" at the 400hr interval, and when I asked the dude at the parts desk at the JD dealership, he agreed with me that it didn't need to be done until the 1200hr mark. The 1200 hours mark calls for inline hydraulic filter change. So yes, that was a sheepish admission of guilt. I'm betting that when I clean the screen, change the filter, and the transmission oil, the 3 pt will be fine.

I know, I know..... my fault for missing it. I'm on it now...... Please don't call CUT welfare services on me!! I'm a pretty good Dad to it overall.....

-Jer.

Please answer this stupid Q for me:

On a e-hydro machine, is the 'hydraulic fluid' and the 'transmission fluid' the same? This is what led to some of the confusion with the partsman.

-Jer.

/ Help me troubleshoot slow raising 3pt arms.... #10  
Please answer this stupid Q for me:

On a e-hydro machine, is the 'hydraulic fluid' and the 'transmission fluid' the same? This is what led to some of the confusion with the partsman.

-Jer.

Short answer=YES, there is only one commom sump for all the hydraulics on the machine.