Help on 3-point seeder / spreader, newbie

/ Help on 3-point seeder / spreader, newbie #1  

Spike56

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2355
I have an old Turbo Spin 3 point seeder / spreader. Having issues that I am not certain about and could use some advise. Just put out fertilizer (bagged) the other day. I tried to set the gate and drive speed for 100 LB / AC. The gate opening numbers are worn off, so I had to guess the setting was near #1 on the opening; which at 540 rpm / 4 mph turned out about right.
The problem with the spreader is, 1.) it clogged up at the gate several times 2.) the clogs were caused because the agitator ground enough fertilizer to dust, and that stopped up in the gate openings. 3.) there was so much dust, it covered the back glass on my cab - I could not even look backwards. Had to stop and drive back to the house to rinse off the glass !

The fertilizer was good and dry out of the bag. I do not have a cover which would have helped with the dust, but not grinding up the material.

The agitator is a rubber wheel (guess the same on all) and I am wondering if the issue is with the metal arm / connector from the gear box to the wheel ? I think the arm is what is grinding everything up ? Should there be a cover over this ? I noticed when putting our Rye Grass I had the same issues - not clogging, but a lot of ground up seed.

All the newer seeder / spreaders look like what I have except the Kabota VS220 type; which seems to offer more adjustments - at 2 or 3 X the price.

Am I doing something wrong here ? Help. I know I can open the gate more and drive faster, but the 4-5 mph is a comfortable speed in my fields.

/ Help on 3-point seeder / spreader, newbie #2  
Try this instead of the wheel agitator. Never had any issues with grinding or breaking seed

/ Help on 3-point seeder / spreader, newbie
Try this instead of the wheel agitator. Never had any issues with grinding or breaking seed

Thanks, that makes more sense. Although, I cannot tell if I can use this replacement part ?