Help on a buzzing sound from a Jura Impressa F9 coffee maker

/ Help on a buzzing sound from a Jura Impressa F9 coffee maker #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Wife has this Jura F9 and loves it. (I'm not a coffee person)

It was sounding really strange other day and didn't work. I took it apart.... I mean literally disassembled the entire brew group and cleaned everything by hand, greased it back up and put back together.

Last night, told her I needed to do a trial run with it to gauge how it was doing before I put the sides back on. (the pistons move WAYYYYY better now that it's been cleaned out and lubricated)

Anyway, she got a cup of coffee going... and then it went into post coffee (rinse?) mode and made a LOUD buzzing sound for a few seconds....something (electronically) "clicked" and the noise went away while the drive wheel spun quickly moving the piston in the opposite direction.

This machine is supposed to create a "puck" from the grounds after they're ejected. Looking in the grounds 'trash can', what I noticed was not a 'puck' but rather a "plop" of very wet grounds that wouldn't hold their form. So the puck isn't puckering....

Right now, that's all I know as it was late so I went to bed.

My initial take however is that maybe I didn't put the piston in far enough, or put it in too far (though I don't think I did....but this is my first disassembly of one of these things). My seat of the pants thought is that when it was making the buzzing sound, it might have been pushing too hard (creating the sound) then it went into reverse mode (sound goes away).

I know asking about this might be looking for a needle in a haystack but one never knows about this website!!

Side comment, if you're a coffee person.... (and again, I am not), according to everyone I've heard who's had coffee out of this machine says it's among the best they've ever had. My wife's brother went so far to get one himself after having coffee out of this thing.

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts on the cause for the sound, should someone have a clue.

/ Help on a buzzing sound from a Jura Impressa F9 coffee maker #2  
I have two Jura makers and have sent them to Jura over the years. They fix most anything for a fixed price. My first Z6 has made over 20,000 coffees over 14 years and sent in twice.
I’m a big Jura fan.

/ Help on a buzzing sound from a Jura Impressa F9 coffee maker #3  
It is a different design than the brew group on our Saeco for sure. The one we have now is at least 15 years old. The one prior was a different design. On that one, it seemed easy to flip the mechanism "out of time", so maybe it is a positional thing. I'm sure you'll find a better answer. A quick search to see what the brew group design was at least showed them available for not tons of moolah if you need to go that way.

/ Help on a buzzing sound from a Jura Impressa F9 coffee maker
I’m a big Jura fan.

Yeah, the wife is a believer.

She had a gal-pal. The gal has done well, plus married well. Live in a large home in one of the 'old money' communities. She (through my wife) put about $50,000 into a single diamond stone... to then have it set in a nice setting.... that kind of 'done well'.

Wife was over there visiting with her. Over near the door was this lowly coffee machine. Wife asked about it...

"Bah.... it's going down to the street for the garbage guys to pick up"

"what's wrong with it?" asks my curious wife

"leaks" says gal-pal

My wife, being ever so quick thinking and opportunistic.... says to gal-pal.... "well, if you're going to throw it away... would you mind if I took it home to see if Richard could fix it?"

She brings it home (pushing 10 years ago) and I take it apart cold turkey. I ascertain that the pump had blow a leak.... spent say $100 for a new pump and it's been perfectly fine since then.....until I totally stopped. It needed an internal cleaning which it got over the last couple days.

I just KNEW it was going to be perfect when she made the cup... I wanted a trial run just because it seems prudent to always check things first. Glad I did that. It WORKS, just has this loud sound that I don't think was there before.

Hadn't thought about shipping it back to factory service center...

/ Help on a buzzing sound from a Jura Impressa F9 coffee maker
I'm weighing the options of having this sent out to be gone through (I found at least one hose that is leaking so I'm guessing a complete go through would be a good idea)

Then... how does that compare with simply buying another one that hasn't run 12,000 cups through?

So, question... what might the differences be between an "S8" and an "E8"? What does the series S verses E mean?

Makes things confusing if nothing else. Their website isn't terribly helpful for me....then again, if I were a coffee drinker, maybe it would make more sense. (shrugs shoulders)