Help, scammers attacking my email

/ Help, scammers attacking my email #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
Yesterday I started getting over 100 emails a day, from mostly Russian and Chinese websites, showing that someone is trying to check into these sites using my email address and saying they lost the password and trying to reset the password. If they happen to get to a site that I am registered on, then they will be able to sign in and change all my info, such as the mailing address, etc.

This is my business email address and would be very costly for me to shut it down and get a new email address which they might just be able to do the same thing to. They are probably running some kind of bot to do their dirty work because a person could not do all of these in one day by themselves. Today I have had about 150 of these emails so far. I do not open or react to these emails.
The local police say there is nothing they can do and that they get so many complaints about this that they are sure that federal authorities are also overwhelmed with this problem. I make sure that any bank accounts I have online require 2nd or 3rd stage verification which makes me feel a little safer but scammers could still order from these web sites using a saved payment option stored there requiring me to close out those credit cards and getting rid of saved payment options on these sites.

Not to mention the large amount of time I have to use daily to go through all of these emails, deleting the spam, to check on my new orders.
I wonder what I should do next?
scammers.png

/ Help, scammers attacking my email #3  
Change your passwords immediately. Make them complicated.
Set up rules in your inbox to automatically move the spam to your junk mail folder or trash.

2part authentication is really important.

/ Help, scammers attacking my email #4  
Any one can spoof an email address it's not hard. Harder is getting the email back to the spoofed account. In you case it look like a kiddie script trying to find a soft target using your address. As long as you (and not them) are getting the verification from the web sites without the "hacker" getting them nothing bad happened. Now those sites that just let reset password or email address without verification are always a problem

/ Help, scammers attacking my email #5  
To reset passwords on places using email reset like that they need to be able to read your email so start with changing that password. It could just be someone messing with you sending a ton of reset spam, it could be a legit attack, no real way to know. Changing email password is easy enough to do anyway.

You can switch site logins over to a new email that isn't public and still get business emails there. And make sure your passwords on places you care about are unique. Thats a big attack vector, find a password somewhere then try it everywhere.

/ Help, scammers attacking my email #6  
tallyho8 - EXACTLY 14 days ago - I had the same thing happen here. It started with 6 - 10 uninvited emails. Yesterday - 67 emails. Today - ZERO. I NEVER answer them nor open them. Divert directly to JUNK file - then delete. I've had this happen before. After a specified time - your name gets removed from the list because you never respond.

My thought on this. I went somewhere I shouldn't have and clicked on something I should not have. Believe me - in this day and age it does not take much to "join" the uninvited list.

/ Help, scammers attacking my email #7  
I use one junk email address for online use, and most everything I receive gets trashed. Up until a few weeks ago I was getting around 50 spam emails per week. After the Comcast breach I changed my passwords, and now I'm getting practically zero spam emails. The"from" headers are all random as you would expect, so I don't think anyone was using my email account.

/ Help, scammers attacking my email #8  
The main rule is never click a link in an email unless you are 101% sure it's legit then you might think twice. It's an ever changing environment that becomes more sophisticated by the day. Mail and wire fraud was at one time high on the list for law enforcement agencies, now you can see what they are working on by watching evening news.

/ Help, scammers attacking my email #9  
Change your password.
Get a VPN.
Get an anti virus.

Maybe contact scammperpayback and see if they’re interested.
Please explain how ANY of your suggestions gets an email address off a scammers list that is being sold and traded

To the OP - I've been in your position - the only way to "reduce" this email spam is through your hosting email server settings. FYI Grandma isn't the right person to get tech support from.

My suggestions for immediate action:
1. Change your email client settings to view as "text only" and "disable html" and "disable viewing online content" in order to prevent email trackers. Your emails will be UGLY and unreadable at times because spammers/scammers rely on you allowing web content in your emails.
2. Stop using your current email address, it's gone forever now
3. Start using multiple work email addressess WITHOUT your name
example: mike@mybusiness.com is going to get tons of spam because it's a common easy to guess name using something like
m123xyz@mybusiness.com
because it is harder to guess with a dictionary attack. Spammers/scammers are constantly flogging your email server using a dictionary and spam list trying to find live email accounts.
4. NEVER give out your work email address to vendors at stores. If you have to use a work email with a vendor make the name trackable so you can find out who is selling your data or has security issues
example: use homedepot-plus-account-date@mybusiness.com and use forwarders to send to m123xyz@mybusiness.com
5. NEVER give out your work email address to friends and group email lists. Your friends email account will get hacked and your email will become spam fodder.
6. STOP group emails that don't use BCC (blind carbon copy). If you are on a group email list where you see multiple email addresses in a large group you are screwed. More than one person is compromised on that list and everyone on that list is now a good spam target.

There's more you can do I don't want to write a novel right now. PM me if you want/need more suggestions to get you going

Last edited:
   / Help, scammers attacking my email #10  
@mikester Great advice!!

The only thing that I would add is if @mikester's suggestions are something that you have difficulties with, hire an IT consultant/coach. It will be money well spent. Don't forget to train your employees as well, if they have work emails.

All the best,

Peter