Help setting up Ford 309 Planter

/ Help setting up Ford 309 Planter #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I'm looking for some assistance in setting one of these up. I've been cleaning, repairing and greasing a new to me dual row 309 and finally have it ready to roll. Purchased it earlier this year and did one trial run a couple weeks back. So in setting this up I noticed that the front of the two skids want to go down into the dirt vs riding on top. I assume this means I need to lower the back end (wheel end) down to level it out more. Does this sound correct? Also what is the best way to size the seed to the disk? Do I place a seed into each slot to see how it fits? I assume should fit in but not big so as to allow a second seed part way in as well. Thoughts? Also any other pointers I'm open to as well. Thank you

/ Help setting up Ford 309 Planter #2  
With the planter lowered into the prepared soil, the planter should be running level right to left and front to back. You are right about placing the seed in the plate cells to determine correct fit. I usually test the drop rate by moving the planter a measured distance in a bare area(I usually go with 25 ft) and then count the seed and do some math. Ken Sweet

/ Help setting up Ford 309 Planter #3  
I had a 309, but mine had disc openers, but Ken has it right, it’s gotta be level to plant right.

/ Help setting up Ford 309 Planter
Well not sure why my Tapatalk Pro app has all the sudden stop providing notifications? I thought things were really quiet on the forums. So just noticed your replies and thanks. I did re plant late last week before a rain so hope it did better this go around.