Help Sizing Tractor

/ Help Sizing Tractor #1  

todd92

Silver Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75A, Kioti NX5510HST, Kioti CK3510SEHC, Farmall M, MF GC2310 TLB
I will be moving to a 37 acre property shortly. There are two old tractors there that I want to replace with one. A IH Farmall H and an IH Hydro 84. The Hydro 84 was used for hay at one time, I won't be doing any row crops or hay. I have pastures and an orchard to mow with a 6 ft rotary cutter rated at 35 HP min. An FMC sprayer for the orchard. I plan on getting a tractor with a loader, open cab, low exhaust for the orchards.

The one new task will be maintaining the new MX track. I'm renting a D5 and a big loader to build it. The tractor will be for maintaining it. So I will be getting a 6 ft box blade.

I think I've narrowed my search to 55-75 HP 4WD, power shuttle or hydro. I want to keep it a small as possible, yet big enough to do the job without overloading it.

Am I in the ballpark? Should I be looking at the smallest utility frame size, or the next larger? I'm looking at used, less than 10 years old less than 1000 hours, preferably less than 500. Not exactly a ton of units that meet my criteria out there. Or maybe something like a Mahindra 5555 new, if that's big enough.

Thanks for any help! I have owned a 2005 MF 2310 TLB since new and it's been bulletproof.

/ Help Sizing Tractor #2  
My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto) is about the same size and weight as that 5555 except that the 5525 is 2WD with an 8F/2R gear tranny that's partially synchronized. Owned that 5525 for 6 years with no problems.

Good luck

/ Help Sizing Tractor #3  
well a 7060 kubota will fit your needs.

/ Help Sizing Tractor #4  
A Kubota M59 would suit your purpose, but might be overkill.

/ Help Sizing Tractor #5  
I will be moving to a 37 acre property shortly. There are two old tractors there that I want to replace with one. A IH Farmall H and an IH Hydro 84. The Hydro 84 was used for hay at one time, I won't be doing any row crops or hay.
If the older tractors run keep them until they die. It's real handy to have a good sized tractor to pull out your stuck tractor.
I have pastures and an orchard to mow with a 6 ft rotary cutter rated at 35 HP min. An FMC sprayer for the orchard. I plan on getting a tractor with a loader, open cab, low exhaust for the orchards.

The one new task will be maintaining the new MX track. I'm renting a D5 and a big loader to build it. The tractor will be for maintaining it. So I will be getting a 6 ft box blade.

I think I've narrowed my search to 55-75 HP 4WD, power shuttle or hydro. I want to keep it a small as possible, yet big enough to do the job without overloading it.

Am I in the ballpark? Should I be looking at the smallest utility frame size, or the next larger? I'm looking at used, less than 10 years old less than 1000 hours, preferably less than 500. Not exactly a ton of units that meet my criteria out there. Or maybe something like a Mahindra 5555 new, if that's big enough.
That certainly should do the job. It looks like new list price w/ FEL is about $38K, is that your price range? With implements?
Be sure to get remotes and probably loaded tires.

/ Help Sizing Tractor
I don't have a budget per se, but I've found buying lightly used anything is much cheaper in the long run than new. For instance, the best fit used tractor I've found is a 2010 MF 1560 with 500 hours offered at 22.9. IF it is big enough to handle my requirements, it might be the one. Is it big enough?

Yes, the Mahindra 5555 or an LS XU5065 list in the upper 30's, but they can be had for just over 30. Still a big delta over lightly used, but they do come with 5 year warranties. Not sure how useful that is, what really breaks on a tractor, they're so simple, plus the dealer networks on those brands are thin, so service might be a ride, negating the value of the warranty.

Then there is the whole Tier 4 nonsense, I foresee nothing but headaches with DPF's on tractors. This is something that you might HAVE to have a warranty on. So expensive to replace. Even more incentive to buy used.

I said I have the implements I need, just adding a 6ft box blade, which is cheap.

I don't see getting stuck, there isn't anything I would be doing in ground that soft. If I do get stuck, my neighbor, who is a real farmer, has several huge tractors, so he could save the day. That being said, no one has ever gotten stuck on our property. Since the old tractors are rusting and leaking, I would just sell them for whatever I can get. I take care of everything I own, so they just aren't for me. Though I could see getting a restored Farmall H as decoration...they're cheap.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are remotes, and why do I need them? Loaded tires I understand.

/ Help Sizing Tractor #7  
I normally could care less about cabs on tractors and would agree with your decision to skip one until I saw the FMC sprayer for your orchard. There are lots of vineyards and orchards around here; those guys always seem to have cabs due to the high amount of gunk they spray to keep their fruits marketable, and the chemicals off themselves. There can be a lot of fine misting drift on even the calmest mornings.
Orchard/vineyard tractors tend to be 60 horse and up and have the letter N around the model number with Deere and New Holland being the major players. Narrow tractors aren't always loader compatible.
Remotes are remote outlets to power hydraulic cylinders on equipment other than your tractor. Handy to have, expensive to add.

/ Help Sizing Tractor
Orchard spraying isn't the primary function. The trees aren't tightly spaced and for now much of it will need to be replanted. I think the cab will be a pain and severely limit clearance.

I will have to check the sprayer model and confirm the HP requirement. As for the chemicals...if I'm spraying, I'll wear a respirator. My father-in-law and the old hands don't seem to worry about it all. I hand them MSDS's, they just shrug their shoulders and say so what. At least they don't smoke.

I see the narrow tractors and I rule them out, I would think wider is better, especially for grooming the MX track, which is on a moderate slope.

Assuming the sprayer HP requirement is not a factor, would the MF 1560 be big enough?

I'm dense, what implement will I need someday that requires a remote that I don't have now?

/ Help Sizing Tractor #9  
Orchard spraying isn't the primary function. The trees aren't tightly spaced and for now much of it will need to be replanted. I think the cab will be a pain and severely limit clearance.

I will have to check the sprayer model and confirm the HP requirement. As for the chemicals...if I'm spraying, I'll wear a respirator. My father-in-law and the old hands don't seem to worry about it all. I hand them MSDS's, they just shrug their shoulders and say so what. At least they don't smoke.

I see the narrow tractors and I rule them out, I would think wider is better, especially for grooming the MX track, which is on a moderate slope.

Assuming the sprayer HP requirement is not a factor, would the MF 1560 be big enough?

I'm dense, what implement will I need someday that requires a remote that I don't have now?

For that cheap 6 foot box blade that you are going to get.

If you are working an MX track, I highly recommend a top & tilt set for the 3pt hitch. So now you are up to 3 rear remotes.

/ Help Sizing Tractor
Thank you for the explanation. The hydro top link is a must, the hydro scarifier would be cool, but not required. Not sure why I would need the side link?